New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Waste

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
Izbozz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I've never done this at all. I put 5 gallons into my fermenter.
Are you keeping all of your brews in the primary for a month? I would love to get more beer out of the fermenter if this is a viable solution, I just don't think I can wait that long .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izbozz View Post
Are you keeping all of your brews in the primary for a month? I would love to get more beer out of the fermenter if this is a viable solution, I just don't think I can wait that long .
Yes...or longer. Except for maybe the 5% that I secondary to bulk age or to add fruit or to oak.

You'll find that many, many of us on here do this.

I just pitch yeast and come back to it in a month or so.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izbozz View Post
If you have a way to cold crash, you don't have to wait a month. A week is a little sporty, in my opinion, but 10 days in primary is enough for most ales. I normally ferment at the recommended temps for the first 3 to 5 days, let it rise to room temp until day 10, then cold crash for 2 to 3 days. You'll have the same compact yeast cake in just two weeks.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
rattletrap
Recipes 

I Used a brewers best kit for red ale. Followed directions that came with it. I put exactly 5 gallons in primary. Next time i will put a little more to compensate. Thank for all the advice. Im sure i will be asking more questions thanks

Old 10-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I've never done this at all. I put 5 gallons into my fermenter.

With long primaries, secondaries (which it sounds like the OP isn't using either) and/or cold crashing, it allows the yeast cake to settle, and more importanly, it COMPRESSES and gets hard. So rather than your trub layer being very viscous and mixed with beer which you ultimately lose, the beer sits on top of a harder yeast layer, and when you rack you can pretty much rack like a vacuum the beer off the surface of the cake.
I don't share this same experience. If I want 5G into a corny keg, I will put at least 5.5G into the fermenter. Without exception, I will always have 1/2G of trub to deal with. I have done various things to try to lessen this, including pouring the wort through a sanitized screen to filter out coagulated material from the boil and hops debris, and siphoning clear wort into the fermenter from the boil kettle. Either way, I've experienced this 1/2G loss with both carboys and a conical.

I do all-grain, and suspect that this might have something to do with it. A friend of mine, who incidentally also is a bucket brewer as Revvy is, always has a compact and firm yeast cake on the bottom, which is barely noticeable during siphoning. My buddy is an extract brewer, which further reinforces my opinion that all-grain has something to do with the excessive trub.

In any case, there is always loss/waste due to trub when brewing. Sometimes a lot, something not. I always project 5.5G of beer into the fermenter with my recipes to take this loss into account.

YMMV.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #16
Izbozz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't brewed that many batches, so I am hardly an expert, but I've cold crashed once and I hardly noticed a difference in the yeast cake. It was indeed a bit harder, but not by much. I'd rather spend the extra couple bucks to throw more than 5 gallons in the fermenter and not worry about it. Plus, I think the crash took too many of the yeast out of suspension, so it carbed painfully slowly.

Quick Reply