Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Washing yeast problem? HELP!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
JKHomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Washing yeast problem? HELP!!!!

Guys,

In January I washed some yeast from the slurry of a honey beer batch that I used a Wyeast pack starter to make, I followed the directions on this site for washing yeast, it appeared to have gone good, while yesturday afternoon I pulled one jar out of the fridge and let it get to room temp, then last night around 8 i boiled 2 cups of malt in 5 cups of water then cooled to 70 and pitched in the washed yeast, at this point today 12 hours later nothing

What happened?

Did I do something wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

The answer was literally 2 inches away from the Post New Thread button. You were so close!

Old 03-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
JKHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks,

I am used to it going crazy in such a short time using the Wyeast packs, I am supposed to brew on Weds i will see what happens as the day goes on,

Thanks again,

Could have I killed the yeast somehow, I have made starters at the same time I washed the yeast and it worked great, maybe it takes longer when the yeast was in the fridge

Old 03-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

No worries. I generally use White Labs or just plain ol' Nottingham, and I usually don't see any signs for at least 16 hours.

I doubt very much that if you followed the direction in Yeast Washing Illustrated you killed your yeast. Even if you froze it somehow, you'd only be losing around 10% viability.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-stirplate-cheap-easy-build-86252/

Build it and you'll never have to ask this question again. Last fermentation started in a few hours using a four month old Wyeast pack smacked the night before.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 03-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
mosyslack
doesn't drink...hahaha

Recipes 

One of the first times that I had ever used washed yeast, it seemed like it had a very mellow growth process in the starter. There was no krausen, but after a few days of shaking and swirling, it changed to a creamy color (growth) and I pitched it in the planned brew. It took off, no problem.

Drinking: 3rd Shift Breakfast Stout, store bought

Old 03-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Your starter may have fermented out too quickly to see, have you pulled a small sample and tasted it?

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKHomebrew View Post
at this point today 12 hours later nothing

What happened?

Did I do something wrong?
First things first, a starter can, and quite often does, completely ferment out in 12 hours. How do you know that it has not done anything?

Also, I want to mention that I too had my problems with washing yeast and went a different direction. Basically what I do now is make a starter twice as big as I need to and save half off, and pitch half. That way I know that I am getting nothing but healthy viable yeast in storage. Minimal trub, minimal dead cells, minimal resins/oils etc etc. Works for me, but to each their own. You can read here if you are interested.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
riromero
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies View Post
First things first, a starter can, and quite often does, completely ferment out in 12 hours. How do you know that it has not done anything?

Also, I want to mention that I too had my problems with washing yeast and went a different direction. Basically what I do now is make a starter twice as big as I need to and save half off, and pitch half. That way I know that I am getting nothing but healthy viable yeast in storage. Minimal trub, minimal dead cells, minimal resins/oils etc etc. Works for me, but to each their own. You can read here if you are interested.
I've always wondered about that but never tried it in the heat of the brewing moment. I used White Labs vials of yeast that seem to have only about 1/2" of yeast on the bottom. I've always thought I should pitch this store bought yeast into a starter, let it go to town, and then refill the vial and put it back into the fridge, before pitching the main portion of the starter into the wort. That way I'd have an everlasting supply of yeast strains to choose from. Should work, right? Wrong?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Starters are for growing yeast, not for fermentation, remember. Yes, it will ferment out, but that time period before you see any visible signs of fermentation is when the yeast are absorbing and metabolising the nutrients in the wort provided, and processing through their cell cycle. Make sure your starter is just covered with foil, no airlock, and give it some intermittent shaking if you do not have a stirplate.

Quick Reply