The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > washing yeast from primary w/fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
antony
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default washing yeast from primary w/fruit?

first off, I've read bernie's yeast washing post & plan to give it a shot this weekend. my question is whether or not it'd be a good idea to harvest the yeast from a primary that has trub (i didn't strain it out after the boil) as well as grapefruit segments & zest. i brewed a grapefruit wheat with wyeast weihenstephan weizen 3068 and was unsure as to whether or not all the excess stuff in the bucket would affect the yeast for future uses.

opinions are greatly appreciated.

drinking: falconer's flight ipa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I would just give it a shot! If you see fruit in the final product then I would personally not store yeast with fruit in it.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

This does not sound like a good batch for your first try. How long where you planning on keeping it for?

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 03-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
antony
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman0001 View Post
This does not sound like a good batch for your first try. How long where you planning on keeping it for?
i hadn't really considered how long, as its really my first shot at it. maybe a month or so.

i was wondering if anyone had tried it---i've been thinking that it didn't sound like a good idea either. i would think that there would be too many small particles of grapefruit that i couldn't filter out & that they may contaminate the sample later.
drinking: falconer's flight ipa

Old 03-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

This is just me so there are a billion different ways to do this. When I know I am going to wash the yeast I make sure I have the cleanest wort possible go into my fermenter. Does it matter? I don't know but it matters to me allot easier to get the yeast not so much trub to deal with.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Quick Reply