Washing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I just finished washing some S-05 out of a blue moon clone. a little tip I picked up on here ( I wish I could remember where and who posted it) was to lay the carboy on its side after swirling the trub around. I had three distinct layers pretty quickly and easily poured off the top layer by just barely tilting the carboy up a little bit. I put it in the second jar and after 20 minutes had virtually nothing settling out. I think the pour from the carboy on its side was so smooth and easy I got almost none of the sediment. I have 6 snapple bottles full of washed yeast to go into the beer fridge now.... BTW I do boil the water as suggested in the pictoral thread but I only sanitize the bottles. it is a PAIN to boil a big jar and all the small ones and get em out without spilling scalding water... or to me it is.

Nice tip.
I think it is rather important that the water be clean and sterile as well. Get a pair of canning tongs to get the jars out full.

Nice tip.
I think it is rather important that the water be clean and sterile as well. Get a pair of canning tongs to get the jars out full.

I do boil the water.. what I did today was boil the water then let it set covered until it cooled down... the snapple bottles and lids are all in a bucket of starsan. Once the water had cooled I took sanitized tongs and filled each snapple bottle with the boiled and cooled water ( to make sure of enough volume) I then bottled my beer and poured all of the water into the carboy onto the trub.. swirled the crap out of it to get everything loose..then I layed it on its side between two rolled up towels to prevent it from rolling. Once I had three distinct layers I took a gallon carboy and a funnel ( both clean and sanitized) and gently tilted the carboy up on the edge of the counter and poured the top layer into the gallon carboy. I let that set for 20 mins then poured the top layer back into the snapple bottles, labeled and stuck in the fridge. As I said however, going from the gallon carboy to the snapple bottles I had near zero sediment doing it this way.

Back