Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > washed new primary. still smells like beer. Ruined?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
canuckmug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default washed new primary. still smells like beer. Ruined?

I just racked my first batch of beer out of my new (1st) primary. Its a 10 gallon plastic one. I rinsed it out. Washed in bleach water solution and rinsed again. It still smells a bit like there was beer in it. Is the plastic now forever tainted? How to you clean your plastic fermentors?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 02:13 AM   #2
Hoppin_Mad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Nah you're good. The smell will fade as long as you were diligent in getting it very clean. You can give it a nice overnight warm water and bleach soak to speed it up.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
Hockeyhunter99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

if you are worried about leeching into your next batch, relax. the smell lessens but will never go away. it is kind of nice to start a new batch and take a big wiff of where you have been previously. i love it personally.

no worries

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Old 03-04-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
canuckmug
Recipes 

So glad to hear it! Thanks!

Old 03-04-2011, 02:34 AM   #5
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i think there was a thread on this earlier today. nah. no need to worry. mine do this too. just make sure you clean it reall well and don't worry about how it smells

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
canuckmug
Recipes 

sorry.. i usually try to do a good search before i post, but I thought, "how many posts could there be about the smell of the primary?" and just went for it.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:44 AM   #7
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

haha. no, im not one of those who says "oh theres already a post on that" (maybe because i haven't been here as long as some of the other ones). i thought it was funny, like you said, how many posts could there be about the smell of primary. then there is two in one day. it seems like that happens a lot thought. my mother in law was jokingly asking me this week about brewing with marijuana. then i've seen two posts this week talking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #8
wolverinebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckmug View Post
I just racked my first batch of beer out of my new (1st) primary. Its a 10 gallon plastic one. I rinsed it out. Washed in bleach water solution and rinsed again. It still smells a bit like there was beer in it. Is the plastic now forever tainted? How to you clean your plastic fermentors?
Hmmm. I didn't know that a container that you make beer in and surprisingly, still smells like beer after its washed, but will be used again to make beer in, is a bad thing? Somebody needs to RDWHAH or whatever that acronym is. Or maybe I should have one.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Does your FV have a tap on it? did you take it apart to soak/clean it? Did you clean the tap threads? Cooper's,for instance is very adiment about doing that. I washed mine with PBW solution. Still smelled of beer till I took out the tap & cleaned it & the corresponding threads in the fermenter. No more smell.

Quick Reply