Warm yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcus11x

Reaction score
I just received a kit from Northern Brewer and the yeast packet cooling bag was open, and the yeast packet was hot and fully inflated. Likely it is dead?

Definitely make a starter, not just because it was hot and inflated, but because it's liquid yeast. Where do you live? Half the US is frozen at this time of the year. Those small ice bags they send along don't hold up for very long. I doubt it was still frozen by the time it left the warehouse, then it had a 2-3 day journey ahead. I'd see those ice packs more as a buffer zone than anything else.

Depending on where you live, and whether you have any decent LHBS nearby, I'd buy my yeast locally. Or if you need it shipped, don't do it during the extreme cold or hot months or during extreme cold/hot spells. You can time it a bit. Count on your package sitting in a truck for several days. Spring and Fall are the best seasons, overall for those shipments.

EDIT:
This is for the record then, the OP was made 07-11-2014! :smack:

Back