Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is a war chiller better than a sink of ice and salt water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #11
rl1373
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I dont believe the issue with stirring hot wort is about contamination as it is oxidation. Once the wort is cooled you can stir it. You'll actually hear of alot of people using a whirlpool technique once they achieved pitching temp. This is basically stirring the wort creating a whirlpool which sucks the hot/cold break and any sediment into a cone in the bottom of your pot. This allows transferring without picking up alot of sediment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Actually you are supposed to aerate the wort beforre you pitch yeast and THEN not get any air in it. I stir vigorously once it is cool.

Also, yes, a wort chiller is awesome. I actually want to buy another one if I can find a good deal, so I can use it in an igloo cooler with ice water instead of using tap water to chill the wort.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
ILuvIPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Tex, fellow-newb here. I too put my second batch in primary yesterday. FWIW, first batch in the sink/ice took me 45 minutes to hit mid 70's. (I did not use salt, just ice/water.)

Last weekend built a chiller & small pre-chiller. Yesterday used the chiller on my second batch: same volume of wort was 58 deg in 6 minutes. I'm sold.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #14
Goatey
Recipes 

Damn... I haven't been cooling my wort. I usually just make sure the water I am mixing with my wort is cold. I'll be sure to cool it down in the sink this time around.

Beer, it does a body good.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #15
ILuvIPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Goatey, see link to read about dimethyl sulfide & benefit of cold break. I have no real knowlege (2 in primary, nothing bottled yet.) But Palmer is something of a guru.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter7-4.html

Old 01-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #16
RogueVassar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick question: Are you making a 5 gallon batch but actually cooling 2-3 gallons of hot wort? That might explain part of how it's cooling so fast.

I've been doing ice (or snow) but am about to make a wort chiller because I'm going to start brewing outside and won't be next to a sink.

But the important thing is to get the wort cold, so it sounds like your system is working great. I don't see a reason to change it.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #17
ILuvIPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote: Quick question: Are you making a 5 gallon batch but actually cooling 2-3 gallons of hot wort?

Right now I'm doing full boil 1/2 batches (3 gallon boil - 2.5 gallon to the fermenter.) So same volume of wort (2.5 gallon) for both the ice bath (45 min) and the chiller (6 minutes.)

Quick Reply