Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wanting to "improve" the recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #21
Newsman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 5829

Well, I ditched the flaked barley as I don't have the equipment to do a mash. I'm thinking of ditching the dry malt extract completely as it's going to be VERY sweet, and I'm afraid it might be overly sweet. The local Homebrew store didn't have Galena and recommended 1 Oz of German Magnum. What I don't like is a really bitter beer. I like a lot of flavor. The Homebrew store expert also recommended 1# of lactose, so I'm going to try that. According to Hopville's on-line calculator, the IBU will be almost 43, and the ABV will be 10.7% if I leave off the dry malt extract and use 1 Oz of Magnum hops and 2 Oz of EKG.

So the modified recipe as it stands now is:
10# 5 Oz Dark Liquid Malt (comes in 3.3# cans)
3# 5 Oz Wheat Malt
1# Lactose
1# Black Patent Malt
8 Oz roasted barley
1 tsp Irish Moss @15 minutes

1 Oz German Magnum Hops @ 60 minutes
1 Oz EKG @30 Minutes
1 Oz EKG @15 Minutes
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient @15 minutes

Yeast is American Ale (Wyeast 1056)

3 Bourbon-soaked Vanilla beans in Secondary

Thinking about getting a second pack of yeast to re-pitch at 1 week in primary. Any comments??? I'm afraid with this pushing 11% ABV, even with nutrient, it might stall after it has been going for awhile, which is why I was considering buying a second smack-pack.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #22
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1124 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

You will definitely want to pitch more than one smack pack unless you are making a starter. If you arent making a starter you will need like 3 smack packs and you should pitch all your yeast at once.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #23
Newsman
Recipes 

OK. Maybe I will make a starter then. All's I know is that the home brew store guy (was right about making the original Vanilla Stout recipe) said this should be fine and I don't need to make a starter, but I guess it won't hurt to make a starter. I'll take it out of the fridge then and smack it and let it go, then make a starter. The home brew store guy seemed to think one smack pack should be enough (don't know if they come in different sizes, but this is pretty big... Anyway, I'll go ahead and make a starter. Thanks for the heads-up

Old 09-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
midfielder5
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsman
The home brew store guy seemed to think one smack pack should be enough...
Hang around here long enough, and do you own reading [IMO J Palmer's 3rd ed of How to Brew in paper, not online antique version] and you will pretty quickly learn that the LHBS employees often give a lot of inaccurate/ bad advice. Some employees are good or great of course, but newbs can't really tell (in the beginning).
To figure the right amount of yeast, go to mrmalty.com

One vial or smax pack of liquid yeast is never enough for 5 gallons of beer that is over 1.030 OG. it will still ferment but slowly. You would probably be on here with a thread: HELP my airlock isnt moving after 2 days!

Edit: Or just stick to dry yeast- WY 1056 equivalent is Safale US 05. no starter needed (just rehydrate in warm water for 30 min).

Old 09-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #25
Newsman
Recipes 

Yeah. I figure it won't hurt anything to make a starter, so I am. He seems pretty knowledgeable, although I think he may be a bit mistaken about how much hops I need. Even making it a full 2 oz of EKG hops barely makes a dent in the malty sweetness. I'm looking for a balance between the bitterness of an IPA and the super-sweet maltiness that I'm going to have from this. According to the brew calculator on Hopville this is gong to be VERY malty-sweet, so I may go back tomorrow and get another ounce of the German Magnum hops. That should help balance the sweetness a bit more.

[edit]
OK, I just went back to Hopville and added another ounce of the German Magnum hops at 15 minutes and it only bumps the IBUs up to 56.5 and on the "sliding scale" it takes it to about 2/3 of the way to malty-sweet from about 90%. Before adding the extra ounce of German Magnum, the IBUs are 42.7. What do y'all think?

Old 09-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #26
BrewinHooligan
Recipes 

Magnum is more for bittering, I would put those at the beginning of the boil. You may not need the whole ounce there.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #27
Newsman
Recipes 

Thanks. I went back to Hopville again and tried 1.5 ounces of Magnum at 60 minutes. Taht gave me about the same IBUs as putting in another ounce at 30 minutes. Still, what do y'all think about a stout at 56.6 IBUs? Is that *too* stout? Keep in mind I'm going to be adding vanilla to it, which should add a lot of flavor.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #28
BrewinHooligan
Recipes 

That is pretty high ibu for the style. The 30 min addition is more for flavor than bittering and hop flavor is not desirable for the style. Try .75 or 1 oz at 60 and that will probably be better. Hopville's scale for balance isn't perfect imo, but gives a good baseline.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
Newsman
Recipes 

OK. Sounds like a plan then. Next question... Will a 1 Liter starter made from a smack-pack be enough yeast or should I bump it up to 2 liters or 1 liter plus another smack-pack? Also, how long would you leave this in the secondary before you keg it? My local club is saying 5-6 months. I was hoping to drink it in less than 2 months from start of fermentation, is that unreasonable for something this big?

Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #30
BrewinHooligan
Recipes 

I would highly suggest a 2 stage starter. Begin with a 1 liter starter that goes 24-48 hours then "step up" to 2 liters. That's a large beer and you definitely want to make sure you pitch enough strong, healthy yeast. 2 months will not be enough time for this beer to be it's best. I personally wouldn't leave in secondary for 6 months. I would age 1-2 months in secondary then age in bottles 2-3 more. You could certainly age in the keg as well.

Quick Reply