Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wanting to "improve" the recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
el_horno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsman View Post
Steeped grains at 150F for 35 minutes in oven
Would you mind elaborating a bit more on this? This is the first time I have heard of steeping in the oven. Ive read half of the Joy of Home Brewing and How to brew by John Palmer and hundreds of posts several youtube videos etc, and havent heard this until now! Only read the first halves of these books as I am new and figured I should master the basics before moving on the more advanced techniques, but temperature control seems to be key at multiple points throughout the process so if you could explain this a bit more i would greatly appreciate it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
Newsman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 6324

That's what the original recipe said to do. I didn't do that. I kept it on the stove and kept it *approximately* 150 degrees.
I think the idea is that if you have your oven set to 200 or so, it'll keep the wort from cooling down too much.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
el_horno
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Thanks! the recipe sounds delicious by the way, I may have to try it!

Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
Newsman
Recipes 

Here's what I came up with using Hopville's Beer Calculus:
9# Dark Liquid Extract
3# Flaked Barley
3# Caramel Wheat Malt
3# Dark Dry Malt Extract
1# Black Patent Malt
8oz Roasted Barley

2 Oz Galena hops (at 60 minutes)
3 Oz East Kent Goldings at 30 Minutes

Irish Ale Yeast (Have to make a GOOD starter, maybe even buy double-batch of yeast and make a second starter to add about a week in)

1 tsp Irish Moss (add to boil at 15 minutes)

3 Bourbon soaked vanilla beans for 14 days in the secondary (maybe longer and/or more -- I want a good, strong vanilla flavor!)
3 Oz oak chips disinfected in bourbon added to the secondary for 14 days.

Any thoughts / suggestions? According to Beer Calculus it should be about 10.9% ABV.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
DoctorMemory
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Not sure the vanilla and oak are going to complement each other, but other than that it looks pretty good. You might also consider adding some champagne yeast, I'm not sure how "big" Irish Ale yeast will go.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
Newsman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorMemory View Post
Not sure the vanilla and oak are going to complement each other, but other than that it looks pretty good. You might also consider adding some champagne yeast, I'm not sure how "big" Irish Ale yeast will go.
Ahh... Ok. Thanks. I'll check with the local homebrew store. They might have a suggestion about the yeast.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #17
Newsman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_horno View Post
Thanks! the recipe sounds delicious by the way, I may have to try it!
This was my first beer. And my first PUBLIC beer as well. There's a charity event in Chattanooga, TN called the Southern Brewer's Fest. The local home-brew club participates every year and we're also the first booth out of beer every year. I donated my first 5 gallons of beer, un-tasted, un-tested and it went over pretty good. I got a few members of the public to taste it and, even on a hot summer day they liked it. I can only imagine how it'll do when the weather is not so nice!

Old 09-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsman

This was my first beer. And my first PUBLIC beer as well. There's a charity event in Chattanooga, TN called the Southern Brewer's Fest. The local home-brew club participates every year and we're also the first booth out of beer every year. I donated my first 5 gallons of beer, un-tasted, un-tested and it went over pretty good. I got a few members of the public to taste it and, even on a hot summer day they liked it. I can only imagine how it'll do when the weather is not so nice!
Nice job. You could also look at modifying the recipe to only use light extracts and use specialty grains for your coloring and flavor. You really don't know what you're getting with dark extracts. Look at some all grain stout recipes and that will give you an idea on the grain bill ratios.

Keep brewing!

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #19
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It's not something that I would like to brew or drink, but that doesn't mean it's not what you want.
As helibrewer said, using only light extracts, and adding steeping grains for the color/flavor gives you much more control over the outcome.
Now for the things that I really don't like about the recipe.
You are adding 3# flaked barley which contains a large amount of starch, but you have nothing in the recipe that will convert that starch into fermentables. If you are going to add 3# flaked barley, you really need to add at least 3# base malt and do a mini mash (as mentioned in post 7) to convert the starches.
You say in post 5 that you don't like a lot of hop flavor or bitterness, but you're going to use 2 oz Galena at 60 minutes, and 3 oz EKG at 30 minutes.
You are using 3# cara-wheat. IMO that is excessive, and makes me feel sick just to think about it. Admittedly, others like more crystal malts than I do, but I would suggest that you use no more than 1.5# (which would still be much more than I could tolerate).

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #20
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

I would agree, you have to mash the flaked barley. I'd ditch the dry extract and add four pounds of 2-row, then mash all of the grain for 60 minutes at 156F.

Personally, I think you are making too many changes in one jump. I'd opt for the original recipe, plus a pound of 2-row and a pound of caramel wheat with a mini-mash.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply