Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Want to move to 5 gallon brews...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Newgene
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a carboy and bunch of plastic buckets. Can't tell you the last time I used the carboy. The carboy is mostly visual. I like the ability to fill and carry the bucket.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1941 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Yeah,the plastic FV's are easier all around. Wide opening & lighter weight.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
Yesfan

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 207

I use these buckets. (link)

They are hard to beat for under $10. Just drill a hole in the lid, and slip a grommet in there for your airlock.

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA
BridgewaterBrewer Likes This 
Old 01-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #14
Yesfan

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTiger View Post
Apparently their buckets arent marked, though. Just a regular old bucket. Why would you NOT use a bottling bucket to ferment? Im asking because I seriously dont know.
For me, because if you can transfer to another vessel you can leave the trub behind. My cousin and me were sampling a multigrain red I brewed a few weeks before. I remembered sticking my siphon a little too deep and pulling a good amount of trub into the bottling bucket when I bottled that batch. I was reminded this when my cousin pointed out the weird yellowish green color of his beer compared to the red in mine. He about sh** his pants. Imagine stirring up all that sediment when you add your primary sugar at bottling time.

On another note, you can try to go to some bakeries and/or bakery departments at Walmart, Bilo, etc. for some additional free buckets. They won't have 6 gallon buckets, but you may be able to score some 5 gallons. That would allow you to at least make batches bigger than 2.5 gallons.
Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Quick Reply