Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wait they say, but do I look like a waiter?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
Fudd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wait they say, but do I look like a waiter?!

So far on the batches I have made I bottle the beer out of the primary as soon as the airlock stops bubbling. Last time the hydrometer reading seemed kind of high but it looks like the fermentation is done so I bottle anyways and just keep the reading for my notes. Anyways this usually means my beer ferments from 3-7 days before bottling. My questions are: Is there more yeast action getting done that you don't see on the surface? and if it looks done do I really need to check over a three day period with hydrometer readings?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd
So far on the batches I have made I bottle the beer out of the primary as soon as the airlock stops bubbling. Last time the hydrometer reading seemed kind of high but it looks like the fermentation is done so I bottle anyways and just keep the reading for my notes. Anyways this usually means my beer ferments from 3-7 days before bottling. My questions are: Is there more yeast action getting done that you don't see on the surface? and if it looks done do I really need to check over a three day period with hydrometer readings?
IMHO, three days (or even seven) is usually not enough. If you're going single stage, and you don't want to take SG readings, then I'd leave it in the primary for two weeks to give it enough time to ferment completely out and settle a little.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 10-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Fermentation gets slower and slower as is progresses, but you shouldn't bottle until the gravity stops changing. That's so when you prime & bottle, you have a good idea of how much carbonation will form in the ale. People joke about homebrew exploding, but it does happen. More often, it will just foam all over the place when you open a bottle, which is a real waste.

Old 10-23-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I've always gone with two weeks in the primary - if extra time there is doing some harm, I see no evidence of it. I would advise not rushing it.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:35 AM   #5
Shambolic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made the mistake of rushing to bottle a couple of brews, because I was having some flavour issues and thought that bottling quickly might be the way to go.
The result was two batches of bottles with thick, unattractive, bad-tasting sediment in the bottom.

Let your brew sit for a while before bottling.

Bottled/Drinking:
Common Swill
Stormy Night Porter
Lobrau Amber Ale (Mk. II)
Rain Dog Ale
Quantum Pale Ale

Coming Up:
Maybe a pilsner...
Quantum Pale Ale (Mk. II)

Quick Reply