Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Violent Fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 04:42 AM   #1
hxcmassacre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Violent Fermentation?

Its been about 7 hours since i pitched the yeast in my 1st attempt at homebrewing. I sanitized everything except for two spoons i grabbed out of the drawer when my filter clogged up, but im not too worried about that. What did worry me was when i went to check on my brew just now and saw that the airlock was clogged with foam and residue!

Not wanting the carboy to explode all over my wifes clothes, i rip off the lock and foam starts to just pour on out. I rig up a blow off tube into a bucket and its now in the closet happily hissing and spitting out foam.

I have a 6 gallon glass carboy with 5 gallons of brew in it. The kit i purchased is for Sycamore Stout and I used the entire packet of yeast that came with it (the directions said to add the yeast, didn't specify a certain amount-everything else was premeasured.) Also, i got a good bit of residue in the carboy when my filter clogged up.

Is this amount of activity normal or should i do something?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Getting that kind of ferment after 7 hours is impressive. What is the temperature because if it is warm that will speed things along but produce some unwanted flavors if the temp is to high.

Gary

Old 09-25-2008, 04:55 AM   #3
hxcmassacre
Recipes 

About 75 F. I pitched at around 78

Old 09-25-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A vigorous blow-off, like you're seeing, is fairly common, more so with certain styles.

You were right to pitch the whole packet, so that's not a concern. Good thinking on setting up the blow-off tube. There's another thread about this very subject going right now, and in it there is good mention of temperature control, since slightly elevated temperatures (mid 70s) can lead to more vigorous fermentations (besides the estery flavors associated with high temps for many yeasts).

If it's warm in your house, see if you can cool your wort down a little, perhaps by placing the carboy in a shallow tub of water with frozen water bottles.

Also, welcome to HBT, and congrats on making your first beer.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 09-25-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That temp may be the key to the vigorous take off, soo soon after pitching the yeast. Ideally, you want to be around 68 degrees to reduce the off flavors produced by the yeast. It will be good beer, just a little fruitier than it could be.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 09-25-2008, 05:11 AM   #6
hxcmassacre
Recipes 

oh okay. the directions said to pitch it between 90-70 (75-70 being ideal).

I just took a close look at it and its really active. Can see swirls dancing around in the brew

Old 09-25-2008, 05:15 AM   #7
hxcmassacre
Recipes 

I am worried about the hose getting clogged... No doubt with all that activity pressure could cause it to explode. I think i'll put it in the utility closet outside. Can it get too cold?

Old 09-25-2008, 05:17 AM   #8
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcmassacre View Post
I am worried about the hose getting clogged... No doubt with all that activity pressure could cause it to explode. I think i'll put it in the utility closet outside. Can it get too cold?
If it gets to cold it will make the yeast drop out and go dormant. I wouldn't let it get colder than 60. How cold would you estimate it to be outside?

Gary

Old 09-25-2008, 05:25 AM   #9
hxcmassacre
Recipes 

forecast is for 58. i'll risk it and leave it in the closet. it seems to be doing okay and its a relatively thick hose.

thanks for all the replies. im heading off to bed

Old 09-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
hxcmassacre
Recipes 

We made it through the night with no problem. The activity has also calmed down a bit

Quick Reply