Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Vienna Lager Kit with No Directions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
lawman67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by menerdari View Post
Would these instructions help?
Don't know what kit you got but this one sounds pretty close
Brewers Best Vienna Lager kit
http://www.ldcarlson.com/public%20ca...cipes/1005.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptidelphian View Post
Yes - to lager it you'll need to keep it at 50F for a few weeks if you want to do it right. It'll taste fine but lagering it will make it true to the style.

You can follow the instructions the others gave then. It's a straightforward and simple procedure.
Thank you again. This forum doubles the fun of home brewing. I have a can of Blond Ale HME from a Mr Beer kit. Is this something I could add to this kit with a positive result? I just don't see messing with the little batch again and wonder if I could put it to use and what it would mean.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
lawman67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
Yes, you will need to control the temperature of the refrigerator to fermentation temp. Ferement for 10 days at 50-52 F. Then remove to room temp of 65-70F for 3 days (diacetyl rest). Check your FG... Make sure it is done fermenting. Then you can transfer to a carboy or keg for lagering. Then put the secondary vessel into the fridge again and slowly lower the temp 2-3 degrees per day from room temp to 35 F. Once at 35, leave to lager for 4-6 weeks.

Some people don't transfer to secondary... thats fine, generally you will be safe.. But I worry about leaving my beer on the yeast and trub for 6 weeks. Also, some don't think you need to slowly lower the temp. But after reading "Yeast" by Chris White & Jamil Z, I always slowly lower the temp.
This is great help. Though it's going to make for an agonizing 6 weeks to see how it turns out. I'm sold on the gradually lowering of the temp.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply