The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > viable canned fruits..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
timgman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default viable canned fruits..

What are "bad ingreedients" for fermenting...
My local stores do not have "oregon" brand fruit...
can I find another brand?
what are "yeist killing" ingreedients that I need to avoid?
thanks
timg

Conditioning: coopers ipa
Conditioning: Niagara brewing honey-brown
Conditioning: TB Pilsner

Fermenting: Niagara brewing belg triple
(c.dante customizations added)
Fermenting: True brew Red Ale

MMMM, Tasty Brew haha!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
etp777
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sorbates are some of the biggest killers. Anything canned in syrup can be troublesome to brew with too.

Look for stuff canned in water, preferably with nothing else added except for maybe ascorbic acid. Whether or not you will be able to find that, depends on fruit in question and your particular grocers.

FWIW, that advice is based on 40-50 batches of wine, but only done 3 of beer, so take it with a grain of salt.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I suggest fresh fruits. They are not that hard to work with. Every canned or pureed I've ever found had some kind of additive. I don't know enough chemistry to know which will retard or stop fermentation so I just learned to use fresh fruits. It's not hard - check my recipe for raspberry ale for a discussion of the issues about using fruit.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

The oregan fruits are SUPPOSEDLY the only ones that have no preservatives or additive, though you may find some out there...You can order them online, several Brewsites including Mr beer sell the cans...

Though if you can't find them then take Steve's suggestion and go fresh or frozen. A lot of recipes use frozen fruit.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
etp777
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Frozen is generally better than fresh, unless you can find fresh that is grown locally. "Fresh" fruit is too often (almost always) picked before it is ripe, so that it doesn't spoil before it can make it to market and spend a few days on the shelves. Frozen isn't picked until it's ripe, and then frozen right there on site. Just make sure that you still check for preservatives, water vs syrup, etc.

Quick Reply