The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Very little activity after using starter. (Pitched 10 hours ago.)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Joe_Stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Very little activity after using starter. (Pitched 10 hours ago.)

I think I made the starter to early (My first time doing one.) as it had very little activity when I pitched. The day before the airlock would bubble aevery 1 or 2 sec.

Did I just make it too early and now I basically did a pitchable tube where it may take a day or so? Most of what I have read says a starter will take off within 6 hours.

Also there is what looks like slurry about half way up on the carboy which I have never seen. This was also my first brew with honey, gypsum and Irish Moss so I'm not sure if that is normal.

Probably just worried over nothing and it will start fermenting soon but some feed back from the pros would make me feel better about it.

Thanks

Secondary #1 - Empty
Secondary #2 - Empty
Bottled - Wild Goose Oatmeal Stout
Bottled - Honey Nut Brown Ale

Up Next:

1) Imperial Stout
2)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

It can take up to 72 hours to get any activity, if you get past that... post again and we will help you out.

I have had one or two go to nearly 72 hours, the brews were fine, so I would not worry.

I generally pitch my starters at 24 hours... the starter does not need to be active to be of great benefit... you are increasing your cell count, whether it is actively fermenting (the starter) or not.

The Pol

(not a pro)

Old 01-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
stale

Recipes 

I was thinking the same thing yesterday after pitching 2 cups yeast slurry from and ESB I had racked 4 days prior. Last night it finally took off with great gusto. You just have to be patient. It should be just fine.
The actual lag was about 32 hrs.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

There's even a sticky at the top of this forum....Take a read and relax

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...s-start-43635/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Revvy... the master of all things information....

Old 01-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
kendrid
Recipes 

I just used my first starter last week and it took 20 hours for it to start. Then it took off like a bat out of hell and was bubbling like crazy. It's three days later and still nicely bubbling.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Joe_Stout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
There's even a sticky at the top of this forum....Take a read and relax

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...s-start-43635/
I've read most of them and there is a ton of good info there.

I just worry way too much about things. I've read where some starters or slurry take off in about 5 hours and so when mine did not.... I assumed the worst.

Anyways thanks for the responses.

Secondary #1 - Empty
Secondary #2 - Empty
Bottled - Wild Goose Oatmeal Stout
Bottled - Honey Nut Brown Ale

Up Next:

1) Imperial Stout
2)

Old 01-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Stout View Post

I just worry way too much about things. I've read where some starters or slurry take off in about 5 hours and so when mine did not.... I assumed the worst.

It's common for newer brewers to understimate the fact that our beer is much hardier that we give it credit. That's why we answer about 30 "is my beer ruined?" threads a day.....And 99.9% of them are not ruined....

Take a read of this http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #9
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My lag times vary from 6 to 18 hours with a properly sized starter depending on strain. Your lag time may vary depending on many factors such as: how much did you aerate / did you use a stone/shaking/pump/etc? Did you use yeast nutrient in the boil? What is the gravity of your wort? How much calcium and zinc are in your brew water? etc... All of those factors have an effect on lag time in addition to pitching rate. I try to keep my lag times as short as possible by doing everything I can to keep my yeast happy, but sometimes I get a 24 hour lag, and I just RDWHAHB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply