Very High OG what should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagdeuce

Reaction score
I brewed a milk stout today and ended up with a very high OG. It was a kit with 2 pounds of grain 8 pounds of Extract and 8 ounces of lactose.

I brewed according to directions and ended up with a sp gr of 1.11, the target was 1.063.

I forgot to take the sp gr before I pitched so I took it afterwards....would this mess things up?

Not really sure what to do, any advice would be appreciated.

Oh this is for a 5 gallon batch.

thanks for the help

Jim

That is impossible, unless you have about 3.5 gallons final volume?

Taking the OG after pitching should not affect anything... was the wort mixed well??

im thinkin you did not stir well enough, therefore the reading you took was artificially high. or, your hydro readin was WAY off.
that amount of fermentables cannot put you @ that gravity, unless like the pol said, your too low on volume!

did you forget to top off maybe?

I threw it in my brew software... youd need 3 gallons to reach that OG... it must not have been mixed well... you tested a thick spot.

Ok, I gave the fermenter a good swirl with out removing the blowoff, is there anything else I should do, or just let it sit?

Thanks for the quick responses, you guys are great!

Jim

If you have 5 gallons, dont worry, it wil be ok... stir better next time prior to measuring

Get another sample and retake the readings. Temperature can be a huge factor.

Temp can, but again it would me impossible to be THAT far off due to temperature.

You may get a variation of up to .004 points or so, but nothing like he has seen.

Back