Verty Cloudy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vismich

Reaction score
Just finished an IPA and just Kegged it, which was the first beer i Kegged.

The beer itself is really really cloudy, almost muddy. It tastes fine, but looks terrible.

There are also little bits of crap in the beer, maybe yeast or hops?

Will that all settle eventually ?

Honestly, if looked weird going into the keg. Just real muddy.

I was about a gallon of water short on the recipe on accident. Maybe that was it

How long did your primary,secondary? Dont feel so bad, at a brewpub i brought home a growler of my favorate of a flight sampler a dry hopped pale ale and it was the murkiest beer i ever seen, i swear it looked like the Mississippi river water here.
Time settles it but what yeast did you use?

Two weeks in a primary and don't remember the yeast. I've never used a secondary yet, but I also never had such muddy beer

Tastes great, and strong as hell actually

Maybe 3-4 weeks in the primary would have cleared it up a bit better? There are also other clearing agents that you could have used both during the boil as well as afterwards. If it tastes good though, go with it.

When I got hop haze,it wasn't that heavy. And only 2 weeks in primary wasn't enough time to allow it to clean up & settle out more. Mine typically get 3-4 weeks total in primary. I bottle,so it takes the 1st 3-7 days for them to get good & clear. So give'em more time in primary to clean up & settle to a slight haze or clearer before kegging/bottling.

Two weeks in a primary and don't remember the yeast.

Two weeks in primary just doesn't seem like enough time to me. I normally go with no secondary like you but i let mine sit in primary at least 4 weeks sometimes as long as 6 depending on how lazy i am.

There is just a weird sludge coming out of the keg... Hope it settles

How long has it been in the keg? I usually let mine carb/condition in the keg for 2 weeks before drinking it and for my IPA's they usually hit their prime at 3-4 weeks. The first pint from a new keg always has "sludge" from the remaining yeast settling. If you are having this problem with multiple pints it sounds like you still had/have quite a bit of yeast in suspension. Next one you do I would give it longer in primary and then cold crash it before transferring to your keg.

IPAs take me 5 weeks minimum before bottling/kegging...3 weeks primary & 2 weeks secondary dry hop. I also use Irish moss in the last 15 min of the boil. I get pretty clear beer, but not crystal clear. If it's an IPA, you're going to have at least a little bit of hop haze unless you filter your beer, which IMO would pull out some of that hop goodness too.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Yeah,my APA & IPA use the same basic recipe,but the IPA's hop schedule is different. You can see the difference in both in my gallery. The IPA has hop haze from the 6oz's of 3 hops that went into it. The APA got only 2oz,thus very clear.

Im shure with a longer primary,bottle condition and cold conditioning youd be fine,try it.

Back