Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Variations in OG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 02:24 AM   #1
pretzelb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Variations in OG

I tried a NB recipe for a porter and according to a file on their site the OG should be around 1061. But on the box for the kit was a label that said the OG should be 1052. To make it more interesting, I think my OG was 1068.

Any ideas on why my OG might have been so far off? I assume 1052 was what it should have been. I'm also wondering what it might mean for the batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 03:54 AM   #2
Six_O_Turbo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Could be because you didn't quite have enough water, either starting out or too much boiled off. Your hydrometer could also account for a little of the discrepancy, but not normally that much. Either way, not a big deal. Just more alcohol in the final product.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:00 AM   #3
GotMOAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm still a newbie but, what temp did you take your readings at? Did you calculate for temp correction? Could be like said above, not enough water.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
pretzelb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think the temperature was around 70 but it could have been lower. I measured the temp in the pot to make sure it was chilled enough but I didn't measure again after moving it to my carboy. I should probably make a temperature note when I take my readings but I don't like to mess with the wort after a boil.

I suppose the water could have been off. The recipe did call for 1.5g when it seems like most call for 2g.

I also tried to take a reading right from the thief. I prefer to use the vial that came with the hydrometer but that takes two "dunks" to fill properly. Like I said, I like to not touch the wort after it's cooled so I tried just using the thief this time. That dang thief still gives me fits - for some reason I can't get used to using it. Maybe I'll go back to using the vial and dunking twice next time.

Quick Reply