Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Variable carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
loobobone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Variable carbonation

I bottled a coffee stout (Midwest kit) three weeks ago and am now enjoying the results. The beer tastes looks and tastes great. However......

I've opened seven bottles so far and one of them was extremely over-carbed. No matter how slow I poured, it would turn to instant foam.

Just curious if someone has an idea why one (and possibly more) bottles turned out this way and the rest are fine?

FYI - This beer was 10 days in primary, 16 days in secondary and a full three weeks in the bottles. When I bottled, I first put the boiled/cooled priming sugar solution into the bottling bucket and then racked the beer into the bucket. There is no reason that I can think of that the priming sugar wouldn't have been thoroughly mixed.

Now back to drinking the beer..........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
JacobInIndy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobobone View Post
I bottled a coffee stout (Midwest kit) three weeks ago and am now enjoying the results. The beer tastes looks and tastes great. However......

I've opened seven bottles so far and one of them was extremely over-carbed. No matter how slow I poured, it would turn to instant foam.

Just curious if someone has an idea why one (and possibly more) bottles turned out this way and the rest are fine?

FYI - This beer was 10 days in primary, 16 days in secondary and a full three weeks in the bottles. When I bottled, I first put the boiled/cooled priming sugar solution into the bottling bucket and then racked the beer into the bucket. There is no reason that I can think of that the priming sugar wouldn't have been thoroughly mixed.

Now back to drinking the beer..........

Has this only happened to one of the beers? If so, you may have just had an infection in that bottle.

How did you prep your bottles, i.e. sanitizing?

Primary 1: Guardrail Pale Ale
Primary 2: Lake Vacation Wit
Primary 3: Air
Secondary:All my secondaries are currently primaries
Bottled/Conditioning: Riesling
Keg 1: Old Yeast
Keg 2: Old Yeast
Bottled & Drinking: Commercial Stuff
On Deck: Nada

Old 01-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
loobobone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobInIndy View Post
Has this only happened to one of the beers? If so, you may have just had an infection in that bottle.

How did you prep your bottles, i.e. sanitizing?
Yes - only one bottle so far. I was thinking along the same line that there might have been an infection in that bottle. I sanitize my bottles by baking in the oven, so they should all have been good. I suppose it could have been infected during the bottling process somehow. The beer was still good, just way too much head.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
JacobInIndy
Recipes 

Perhaps you do this already, but you should scrub your bottles as well as baking. It will remove the gunk in the neck of the bottle, as well as any sediment in the bottom.

Even if you rinse after drinking out of them, I would still scrub with a bottle brush, just to make sure.

Primary 1: Guardrail Pale Ale
Primary 2: Lake Vacation Wit
Primary 3: Air
Secondary:All my secondaries are currently primaries
Bottled/Conditioning: Riesling
Keg 1: Old Yeast
Keg 2: Old Yeast
Bottled & Drinking: Commercial Stuff
On Deck: Nada

Old 01-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I had the same problem until I started stirring the priming sugar after racking on top of it.I would have different carb levels in the same batch.Since I started stirring,the problem has ceased.I think the heavy priming mix sits on the bottom and doesn't fully mix with the beer w/o stirring.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I had always gently stirred the bottling bucket and have had very constant carbonation. Once I tried the just rack on top method some here have mentioned and I got two over carbed bottles. From now on I will continue to stir.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
loobobone
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. I do brush clean the bottles, but certainly possible that I missed on. I will also try stirring the next batch....... which is going be bottled tonight!

Quick Reply