Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Vanilla Porter Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
ThirdGen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Vanilla Porter Help

Hi, I tried a wonderful beer last night that I really want to try and emulate. It was a Vanilla Porter by Vertigo brewing here in Oregon. I don't necessarily need a clone recipe, but I'd really like some help putting together an Extract recipe for a Vanilla Porter! I'm pretty sure I'll just need a regular porter recipe and then add some vanilla extract when I rack to secondary, but how much?

Thank you, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts

The best answer for you is that there is no right answer. Its personal preference.

One of my favorite beers is an ICE cold Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. God I still remember the first night I had that beer. I got rocked off of it, couldn't get enough.

However, I did try to clone it once. I used a standard porter recipe and then put in the secondary 1.5 halved vanilla beans soaked in vodka for 24 hours, then racked on top of them. The vanilla flavor was not all that much, if doing it again I'd do 3 beans. But that would be to suit my taste

Old 01-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check out my recipes tab - I made a Vanilla Coffee Porter that was a HUGE crowd pleaser. It's not quite as roasty or bitter as a porter should be, but man it's delicious. If you don't do the coffee, you'll want to increase the dark malts.

Quick Reply