The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Vanilla bourbon porter issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Vanilla bourbon porter issue

I brewed this recipe a while back.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/bou...rter-ag-30185/
I followed the recipe exactly except I used pure vanilla extract rather than beans and put in 3 ounces.
I also added in a pint of makers mark.....Anyway my son declared this the best beer ever brewed and asked for it to be brewed again as a christmas gift.
I gave him a 6 pack last night and today he told me they were AWFUL. he said that of the 6, 2 were just like before and really tasty.. 4 were nothing like the other 2 and had zero vanilla flavor at all. I opened one and poured it out after tasting it.
I added the bourbon with the priming sugar at bottling. The vanilla a couple of days earlier so I could taste it to get the level right. Sanitation is good IMO.. not an infection and not a carb issue.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I bet the extract did not stay mixed well in the fermenter. Did you batch prime in a seperate bucket?

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_Guy View Post
I bet the extract did not stay mixed well in the fermenter. Did you batch prime in a seperate bucket?
yes.. batch primed so it SHOULD have remixed even if it did seperate.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Clearly a mixing issue, if some tasted like vanilla and some did not...

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-11-2010, 12:37 AM   #5
rcreveli
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just a suggestion, rather than extract you can soak the vanilla beans in the bourbon. Here's my notes from my Vanilla Bourbon Porter below.

Racked to secondary onto 16 oz of burbon
8oz's of wild turkey
8oz of knob creek
Bourbon had 2 vanilla beans, split and halved soaking in it for aprroximately 2 weeks. and 1 oz of oak CUBES for 1.5 weeks.

Primary 2.5 weeks
Secondary 1.5 weeks
Bottled for 3.5 weeks before I tried it.

Ray

Old 10-11-2010, 01:41 AM   #6
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreveli View Post
Just a suggestion, rather than extract you can soak the vanilla beans in the bourbon. Here's my notes from my Vanilla Bourbon Porter below.

Racked to secondary onto 16 oz of burbon
8oz's of wild turkey
8oz of knob creek
Bourbon had 2 vanilla beans, split and halved soaking in it for aprroximately 2 weeks. and 1 oz of oak CUBES for 1.5 weeks.

Primary 2.5 weeks
Secondary 1.5 weeks
Bottled for 3.5 weeks before I tried it.

Ray
I am gonna try it again and use beans this time since what was good was REALLY good.....My issue is also that the ones without the vanilla taste were not only not vanilla tasting , they were not good.... Mind giving me your thoughts on how yours turned out with the oak added? Also why the two different bourbons?
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Clearly a mixing issue, if some tasted like vanilla and some did not...
I would assume that also but why are they all well carbonated.. If the priming sugar mixed why not the vanilla?
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-11-2010, 02:08 AM   #8
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Even if it was a mixing issue I don't get why the beer would taste awful without the vanilla in it....

Personally I keep a batch of oak cubes and vanilla beans in some Bourbon and just pour in a couple ounces at bottling. Plenty of flavor for my tastes. I couldn't imagine a whole pint.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
rcreveli
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My goal with the oak cubes was the same as I have with salt in food. I didn't want overpowering oak flavor but I wanted something to be missing if the oak was gone. I left a few bottles unoaked and I think I succeeded.

The Reason I used 2 Bourbons is because that's what I had. MY FIL would kill me for waisting knob creek if he found out.

A pint of Bourbon seems like a lot but it's 10ml per 12 oz bottle, about 1/3 of an ounce and you lose quite a bit to the oak cubes so it's closer to 1/4 ounce per bottle.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Can you describe the taste the bad ones had?

Might be an issue with bottle contamination.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Quick Reply