Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Vanilla beans

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
05m50dan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

One note:
Adding vodka (or rum or Whiskey or insert liquor here) will extract MORE flavor from the vanilla beans then if you didn't use them. This may before then desired.
Hint: start with half of the whole bean. Lest rest for a couple days in secondary. Carefully swirl before sampling. If it's at the level you want, great. If not add a little more and repeat. If you do over-do it, bottle or keg and let it rest a month or two. The vanilla should diminish with time, but it may take many months. I personally don't like to be hit over, he head with vanilla... rather like a subtle note in my beer. But that's the joy of home brewing. You get to make what you like.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
Kasrkin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05m50dan View Post
One note:
Adding vodka (or rum or Whiskey or insert liquor here) will extract MORE flavor from the vanilla beans then if you didn't use them. This may before then desired.
Hint: start with half of the whole bean. Lest rest for a couple days in secondary. Carefully swirl before sampling. If it's at the level you want, great. If not add a little more and repeat. If you do over-do it, bottle or keg and let it rest a month or two. The vanilla should diminish with time, but it may take many months. I personally don't like to be hit over, he head with vanilla... rather like a subtle note in my beer. But that's the joy of home brewing. You get to make what you like.
Just one bean? I'm going to try and Cobble together a Creme Brulee Stout coming up, if i'm going for something that's going to be notably sweeter should i start with a little more in the secondary? or is it really just a "to taste" sort of thing, and i'm over-thinking it? haha

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply