Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > vanilla bean

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
themashedone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default vanilla bean

I want to put 3 vanilla beans in my honey brown ale. I was told by some to just put them into secondary without sterilizing, i am a little worried about this in that i do not want a infection. I do not know how to sterilize the beans and i do not want to soak them in vodka. Any suggestions welcome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
themashedone
Recipes 

anyone out there

Old 06-05-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Be aware that whatever you 'sanitize' the beans in will also contribute to the brew's flavor. I used bourbon to sanitize a bean on a batch. I used a bit more to rinse the jar the bean was in, adding only about 6oz total. You could REALLY taste the bourbon in the batch (5 gallons)...

Also, adding vanilla beans to the batch will do more to enhance other flavors. If you want to get actual vanilla flavor in the batch, you might need to use either more beans than makes sense, or you'll want to use something else. Age the batch on medium toast oak chips for 4-6 weeks, then let it bottle condition for another month or two, and you'll get vanilla flavors. I did with with just 3/4oz of chips (used boiling water to sanitize the chips before adding them to the brew). At <1.5 months you got the oak flavors. After two months, it transformed into vanilla. If you use more chips the time frame should be shortened. I pitched both the chips and the liquid in the jar (I boiled water in a tea pot, then poured enough to cover the chips into a sanitized jar, covered and let cool to a safe temp before pitching).

BTW, you need to give a thread more than 20 minutes before you start posting "anyone out there"... Eventually people will see it and post if they have ideas.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-05-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3595 Times on 2218 Posts
Likes Given: 3091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Be aware that whatever you 'sanitize' the beans in will also contribute to the brew's flavor. I used bourbon to sanitize a bean on a batch. I used a bit more to rinse the jar the bean was in, adding only about 6oz total. You could REALLY taste the bourbon in the batch (5 gallons)...

Also, adding vanilla beans to the batch will do more to enhance other flavors. If you want to get actual vanilla flavor in the batch, you might need to use either more beans than makes sense, or you'll want to use something else. Age the batch on medium toast oak chips for 4-6 weeks, then let it bottle condition for another month or two, and you'll get vanilla flavors. I did with with just 3/4oz of chips (used boiling water to sanitize the chips before adding them to the brew). At <1.5 months you got the oak flavors. After two months, it transformed into vanilla. If you use more chips the time frame should be shortened. I pitched both the chips and the liquid in the jar (I boiled water in a tea pot, then poured enough to cover the chips into a sanitized jar, covered and let cool to a safe temp before pitching).

BTW, you need to give a thread more than 20 minutes before you start posting "anyone out there"... Eventually people will see it and post if they have ideas.
OP didn't ask about oak chips

The safe bet is to split the bean lengthwise, drop in vodka, soak for a few days, and then pitch. The alcohol will kill any bacteria. Popular wisdom says vanilla oils are not soluble in water (only alcohol), but in practice the alcohol in your beer is plenty to extract the vanilla essence.

You could also just split the bean, put in a dish and microwave for a minute, let sit for 5, then add to carboy. This would kill the nasties as well.

Me, I just split and add to carboy. Have you seen my license plate? BTW, here are some insanely cheap beans:

http://www.vanillaproductsusa.com/servlet/StoreFront
http://www.beanilla.com/vanilla-bean...la-c-1_30.html

Old 06-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

passedpawn, I just posted what I've actually experienced when adding a bean to a brew. I had no idea that so much of the 'sanitizing liquid' would come through with it. Just making sure the person didn't add too much of whatever he/she uses to 'sanitize' the bean.

Hadn't heard about nuking a bean before.

IF the OP is looking to get more vanilla flavor, oak IS an option. It's something that could be considered by the OP. Since I wasn't sure if he/she knew about it, or not, I thought it would be a nice thing to mention.

So glad I left Florida ~14 years ago...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
themashedone
Recipes 

thanks alot for the help I think ill try just splitting and putting them in. and i appreciate all ideas it only makes one more knowledgeable.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3595 Times on 2218 Posts
Likes Given: 3091

Quote:
Originally Posted by themashedone View Post
thanks alot for the help I think ill try just splitting and putting them in. and i appreciate all ideas it only makes one more knowledgeable.
Good luck. FYI, 1 bean = 2 tsp pure extract.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
OP didn't ask about oak chips

The safe bet is to split the bean lengthwise, drop in vodka, soak for a few days, and then pitch. The alcohol will kill any bacteria. Popular wisdom says vanilla oils are not soluble in water (only alcohol), but in practice the alcohol in your beer is plenty to extract the vanilla essence.

You could also just split the bean, put in a dish and microwave for a minute, let sit for 5, then add to carboy. This would kill the nasties as well.

Me, I just split and add to carboy. Have you seen my license plate? BTW, here are some insanely cheap beans:

http://www.vanillaproductsusa.com/servlet/StoreFront
http://www.beanilla.com/vanilla-bean...la-c-1_30.html

Great license plate, one two many letters for a Hawaiian plate.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Wai`anae Summer Ale
(N.English Brown)
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer:

Old 06-05-2011, 04:21 AM   #9
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

A rum might have a nice flavor to go with the vanilla.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 06-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2191 Times on 1907 Posts
Likes Given: 1632

Yeah,the Captain Morgan's is real good for that smooth vanilla spice thing. It seems like the 100 proof bottle my son bought for vacation Has a bit bigger,smoother vanilla flavor. That & oak chips might be nice.

Quick Reply