Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using whirlfloc and chilling wort post boil.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #51
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

If you have enough beer in thecpipeline then uouvreally do t need to do anything but age. When you dont.. out come the filters/finings etc. Lol

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #52
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by guldalian View Post
I don't cold crash either. Or fine, or filter. Not saying its bad to do that or trying to deride your process. Just saying whirfloc alone does the trick for me and I don't seem to need any extra steps.
Whirlfloc and cold crashing accomplish two different things on the road to the same goal. One doesn't take the place of the other.

Whirlfloc helps to clump proteins and other small particulates in the boil into bigger particles that will settle to the bottom. The result is more clear wort and less gunk transferred to the bucket.

Post-ferment cold crashing is done primarily to encourage more yeast to drop out of suspension and to firm up the yeast trub layer in the bottom of the fermenter so that it's harder to disturb when moving the bucket/carboy and siphoning. The benefits are more clear beer and less yeast trub in bottle-conditioned beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply