Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using whirlfloc and chilling wort post boil.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Using whirlfloc and chilling wort post boil.

Is stirring the wort while chilling counter productive if you used whirlfloc in the boil? I read that whirlfloc will pull proteins and other materials down during the cold break, which results in a much clearer beer. Stirring keeps everything in suspension, however stirring helps the wort cool faster. I also strain my wort using the paint strainer bags. I'm wondering if stirring the wort contradicts the use of whirlfloc. Sorry for the newbie question but I want to use whirlfloc the correct way. Thanks!

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Not sure ....I am a believer in whirfloc though...I use a plate chiller so I get a pretty much instant chill....worth the investment

My opinion it isnt counter productive

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 04-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 83 Posts

I don't think it's counterproductive either. I always use whirfloc and will usually stir in a continuous direction opposite of my chiller to create a sort of whirlpool effect. I do this for 5-10 min then let it finish chilling without stirring any more. My break material always ends at the bottom of my kettle and not in my fermenter.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

No ur good. Whirlfloc deals mostly with the coagulation of proteins for the cold and hot break. It allows these proteins to coagulate together, basically becoming bigger/heavier and dropping to the bottom. Not using whirlfloc or irish moss will keep more of these proteins suspended in the wort, which can lead to hazy beer. Yes it can drop into trub in the kettle but it can also occurr in ur fermentation vessel so in theory u can still dump everything from ur kettle into ur fermentor and still see a difference when using whirlfloc/irish moss.

This is a link i bookmarked a few months back when i was throwing around the idea of using a tablet. every batch i make that isn't a wheat beer or belgian gets a tab. Yooper knows her **** and she posts some good scientific stuff on how it works.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/whir...xtract-192043/

Something else u can consider depending on your BK, is a diptube. U can cant the tube at a slight angle, make a whirlpool and alot of the hops particulars and any strain grains and other material will "dome" in the center of ur BK, while the diptube sucks out all the wort from alongside it. I am fine tunning my dip tube angle on my new keggle and its nice because alot of the stuff gets left in the BK for easy rinsing while all the good stuff gets into the fermentor.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the reply's. It normally takes about 20min to cool my wort to 75 degrees with an ice bath. During this time I do a strong stir for a minute about three times. Do you suggest I let the wort settle for a while before pouring into the fermenter? I do use a strainer which catches most of the nasty stuff.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Pratzie

Recipes 

U can let it sit and then just pour thru the strainer and leave the last bits in the bottle of the kettle. thats what i used to do with my old kettle.

Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sounds good since that's pretty much what i do already. The whirlfloc still works during fermentation correct? Also when I put my beer in the keg it will help clear it up as the beer gets cold right?

Old 04-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Pratzie

Recipes 

I don't wanna say its "working", i think the work is already done. But during fermentation everything heavy will drop to the bottom that isn't being fermented. ie the proteins

Aging:

Old 04-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4661 Times on 3386 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post
Sounds good since that's pretty much what i do already. The whirlfloc still works during fermentation correct? Also when I put my beer in the keg it will help clear it up as the beer gets cold right?
No, whirlfloc works during the boil to coagulate proteins. I get a crazy good cold break when I remember to use it, which results in very clear beer.

It's a "kettle fining" and doesn't do anything in the fermenter.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
guldalian
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Don't bother letting it settle. I stir mine with the immersion chiller the entire time (it helps efficiency), and while it does kick up the sediment, it settles out very quickly. Even if it goes in the fermenter, it will all settle out down into the yeast cake.

image-3279197224.jpg

Quick Reply