Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > using the swamp cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Suddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default using the swamp cooler

I have a edwords haus ale in the swamp cooler right now. I checked the temp this morn and it was at 57 degrees. I am using safale us-05. Is this temp to low? Is my yeast going to do dormant or die out at this temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Yeast will not die from low temperatures unless you freeze them. The recommended fermenting temps for us-05 is 59F-75F, so you may make them go dormant at 57. However, just take the fermenter out of the cooler and it'll be fine. You'll probably have to put it back in the cooler at some point when the temps get near 70.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would just pour a pitcher of hot tap water into the swamp cooler. Or carefully add a few pints of boiling water to bring the temp up to the low sixties.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

You're going to have a very slow fermentation. US-05 doesn't produce a lot of of flavors at the high end of its range, so get that fermenter up to 65° or so and let those little buggers get to work.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

little warm water to up the temps and a 25$ aquarium heater to maintain the temp that's all you need when the temp is too low.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 06-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
I would just pour a pitcher of hot tap water into the swamp cooler. Or carefully add a few pints of boiling water to bring the temp up to the low sixties.
naw...not necessary. assuming its the 'wet t-shirt around the primary in a tub of water' type cooler, just remove the t-shirt.

heating up the water in the cooler only heats that water. it still evaporates and cools the primary, and it would take probably 10-12 hours to see that warmer water affect the 5+ gallons of wort.

remove the t-shirt and it won't be evaporating much, and the heat from fermentation will kick up the temp a few degrees.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 06-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
timmystank
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
naw...not necessary. assuming its the 'wet t-shirt around the primary in a tub of water' type cooler, just remove the t-shirt.

heating up the water in the cooler only heats that water. it still evaporates and cools the primary, and it would take probably 10-12 hours to see that warmer water affect the 5+ gallons of wort.

remove the t-shirt and it won't be evaporating much, and the heat from fermentation will kick up the temp a few degrees.
Reminds me of Iraq. We used to put hot as hell water bottles in a wet sock and leave in the shade and the wind would cool them down quite nice... Good times.

Quick Reply