The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using Super-KLEER K.C. in beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
brian_g
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Using Super-KLEER K.C. in beer

I bought a pack of Super-KLEER and I'm debating whether to use it in beer. It says it's for wine and beer on the package. I was hoping that this would allow me to get my beer into bottles quicker. My main concern is that it might cause the yeast from carbonation to gel at the bottom of the bottles instead of pack. Has anyone used this product on beer before?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
flylock_jac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I tried it in one of my first batches and did not notice any difference.
Didn't seem to do much for clearing the beer.
Last 2 batches I used whirlflock and it worked great. The beer was crystal clear when I racked it to my bottling bucket.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Slightly OT, but I've meant to ask this question before about KC. IIRC, there's a warning about the product containing shellfish or something along those lines. Am I correct in assuming that if you were to add the KC to your brew, anyone with a shellfish allergy should refrain from drinking the brew???

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Good question Blueline.

It just came up last week in a wine forum...Chitosan is a clarifying agent in many wine kits and it sounds like KC must use it too.
The discussion on the forum said that it doesn't trigger allergies in those allergic to shellfish. I think its because its the shellfish meat that people have an allergy to, and chitosan is derived from the shell.

but, i'm not a doctor, or a lawyer, or a biologist for that matter, so take my comment with a grain of salt.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 06-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #5
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Interesting. I would've thought that any part of the shellfish would cause a reaction. But, I'm no doctor either!! I had been pondering the thought for a while now (about the allergic reaction, not being a doctor ) and it had prevented me from using it.... guess I'll use it and give it to a friend who has shellfish allergy, and standby with an epi-pen!!

joelanderson47 Likes This 
Old 06-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
brian_g
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes Super-KLEER does contain chitosan which is a derivative of shellfish. I'm not allergic to shellfish, so it doesn't affect me personally, but I would had to give wine to someone and have it cause an allergic reaction. I did some research on it and I'm comfortable using it. The stuff I read basically said that people who are allergic to shellfish are allergic to the proteins in the shellfish. The proteins are primary found in the meat, but chitosan comes from the shells. The shells are then processed in a way which would destroy any proteins left.
So my limited research suggests that it's relatively safe for people with shellfish allergies. That said I'm no doctor, and I encourage everybody to do their own research and / or talk to their doctor, especially if the allergy is severe.

Now does anyone know if Super-KLEER works in beer. We have one person who says he tried it and it didn't work. Anyone else try it?

Old 06-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
brian_g
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, I've decided to give it a try. I put the 1st packet in about an hour ago. I'm about to put the second pack in. The first pack has make the yeast form into larger particles, it looks like a snow globe inside my beer.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Interesting.... let us know how it works out, I may go ahead and use mine if you have positive results

Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
Hodor_Baggins
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One thing about that that likely won't make any difference to you at all is that shellfish are not Kosher. If you have any Jewish friends that keep Kosher, they can't enjoy any beer that uses this stuff.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
brian_g
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My results were rather suprising. The beer was still appeared cloudy last night and there appeared to be a lot of stuff floating around, but I decided to rack it anyway. I racked just over 4 gals into the bottling bucked and the rest of it into a 1 gal jug. I was surprised at how clear the beer was. I'll re-rack the 1 gal jug again, but the stuff in the bottling bucket was crystal clear. I put some in a glass and held it up to the light, I saw nothing floating in it and no cloudiness. Also I didn't see anything come through the hose during siphoning. I'm not sure what I observed before racking. Perhaps just yeast stuck to the sides of the carboy? The beer tastes great too. Probably the best I've had this young.

My concern is that I wont have enough yeast for carbonation. I'll probably add a pack at bottling time.

Quick Reply