Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using recipe DME for yeast starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
NWMushroom
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Using recipe DME for yeast starter

Instead of using separate stock of light DME for a yeast starter, is there anything wrong or inadvisable about using the DME included in the beer kit/recipe? I am figuring that yes you're taking out (let's say) a cup of DME from the recipe to use for the starter, but you're then adding it back in if you pitch the entire starter. Thoughts?

Secondly, this is my first time making a starter. I also have a stir plate. When should I be pitching the starter? Is 12 to 18 hours on the stir plate about right?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Other than taking away from the finished beer, you can use the DME from the kit. I usually try to pitch an active starter between 12-18 hours. If I can't hit that window, then I'll stick it in the fridge. Pitching the whole starter isn't too bad for small starters, once you start making 1L starters and over, you may want to cold crash the starter, decant off most of the starter beer and pitch the remaining slurry. A starter can get nasty pretty quick if left out too long. good Luck!

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2197 Times on 1913 Posts
Likes Given: 1642

for average gravity beers,I make a starter out of 1 1/2C boiled water,& 1/4C of the DME I buy for my recipe. Put a quick check thermometer in it,cover with plastic wrap. When it comes down to 70F,I pitch the yeast & stir. 3-4 hours before pitching gives the yeast a good,solid start.
But pitching on the starter 1st thing in the morning of a brewing afternoon is looking to be a better time frame.
Going to try that on my next batch.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
NWMushroom

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So it's good to use the DME from my recipe for the starter then? Or is it better practice to use separate DME?

I am torn between pitching the entire starter or just the slurry. I've read that cold crashing and pitching just the slurry can be beneficial, but because you're cold crashing you're putting the yeast back to sleep rather than when pitching the entire, active starter.

I am confused and can't decide what to do!

Old 06-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
MonsterBrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would recommend using DME not from the recipe to make your starter. Yes, it was going into the recipe anyways, but you're also adding extra water when you make the starter. Unless you account for that when you fill your fermenter, you'll be slightly cutting your gravity by adding the starter.

As for pitching, I've had plenty of success pitching a 1 liter starter in it's entirety. Give it about 12-18 hours of a head start, pitch to the wort and you'll have healthy, active fermentation very soon.

Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply