Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using Primary as Secondary also

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
JVHBass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using Primary as Secondary also

Hi,

I'm looking at brewing a beer and I've been told it is definitely better if it is racked to a secondary fermenter. I don't have one of those but I was thinking I could rack it to a bottling bucket then clean and re-sanitize the primary fermenter and rack it back in. Is that a good idea or am I missing the purpose of a secondary fermenter in the first place?

Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Stix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just leave it in the primary. Secondary is not necessary. I think its only good to secondary to add fruit or long term aging.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 50

There are a TON of threads that pertain whether or not to secondary. I only use them if I am looking to flavor my beer with fruit (by placing the fruit into the secondary and then racking my beer onto the fruit) or if I am working on a beer that I want to be crystal clear, usually by dissolving gelatin, placing it into the secondary and racking my beer onto it. Truthfully, I don't bother with trying to clear my beer much anymore. Brew it, bottle it, drink it...

As far as using your bottling bucket as you described, I wouldn't. In my opinion, you're just exposing your beer to a lot of unnecessary steps that could do more harm then good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!
Smccar2007 Likes This 
Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yeah, I would leave it alone. The less I touch it the better.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic thread.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer, Jamil Zainasheff, and all of us Weigh In .

Pretty much every question has been answered in there, there are podcasts and articles and other citations, and that's where the discussion is ongoing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
JVHBass
Recipes 

Awesome, thank you for the replies everyone. The main reason I ask is because I'm thinking of doing a peanut butter porter and the extract recipe I have calls for adding dry peanut butter and cacao into the secondary fermenter. It seems like I might be able to get away with just putting it in the primary?

On a side note, I was directed to PB2 dry peanut butter and they have a version where it is dry peanut butter and chocolate mixed together. Would that be ok to use?

Quick Reply