New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > using oak chips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #11
BrookdaleBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was just about to start a thread about this and what do you know, I come here and it's the first thread I see.

I oaked an IPA I made and I'm drinking a pint now. Left it on 1 ounce of oak chips for 7 days. 3 weeks later and I have vanilla beer. It's not horrible but the oak is just about the only thing you can taste. I was going to ask how long I'd need to age it to get a normal flavor, but that appears to have been answered in this thread. I figure by 5 months the hops will have mellowed way too much for me anyway, so may as well just drink it now.

I could see using them again if I were going to make a barleywine or an imperial stout, but I'll never use them again for a lighter beer that doesn't need as much aging.

Last edited by BrookdaleBrew; 05-10-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 12:01 AM   #12
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

well i may have to do some more research into this, cause if they do float i would rather just put them in my primary since i have never used a secondary ever and really don't want to start now. The recipe I'm doing is orfys oaked smash beer which is a 1.072 Marris Otter/Fuggles beer with about 20 IBU's. I want to use burton on trent water salts in it though to kinda cut my teeth with water building

Bottled: Janet's Brown, Session Dry Stout, Yellow Fly Cream Ale

Gallons Brewed In 2011-40

Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 AM   #13
Hethen57
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I used 1 oz of chips soaked in a shot of bourbon in my 5 gal. version of Oaked Arrogant Bastard and people say it is one of the best beers they have ever had. You can't specifically taste the oak, it just sits in the background. It is so subtle, I am tempted to kick the oak up to 1.5 oz next time, just to see what happens. I have read lots of posts where people said 2 oz's was too much oak flavor, but the happy medium is probably somewhere between 1 and 2 oz's.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #14
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

In my experiences some will float and some will sink. I believe it has to do with the density of the wood, how long it has been soaking, gravity of beer, chip/cube sizes, and what ever you can think of. I have always moved my beers over to a secondary when dry hopping, oaking, or adding anything after fermentation.

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 05-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #15
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hethen57 View Post
I used 1 oz of chips soaked in a shot of bourbon in my 5 gal. version of Oaked Arrogant Bastard and people say it is one of the best beers they have ever had. You can't specifically taste the oak, it just sits in the background. It is so subtle, I am tempted to kick the oak up to 1.5 oz next time, just to see what happens. I have read lots of posts where people said 2 oz's was too much oak flavor, but the happy medium is probably somewhere between 1 and 2 oz's.

I have this beer in secindary. it is going on 8 days on the 2 oz of toasted oak. and about 4 oz of bourbon.

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #16
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I wasn't going to soak my oak chips in anything before putting them in the fermenter. Shouldn't that make them less dense where they will float a little bit longer?

Bottled: Janet's Brown, Session Dry Stout, Yellow Fly Cream Ale

Gallons Brewed In 2011-40

Old 02-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #17
Changoborracho
Recipes 

Sorry to bring up an old post, bust i can see my oak chips laying on the bottom in the trub. Will it still impart the flavor of the oak if they are buried?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #18
steelerfanatic7
Recipes 

How do u get the oak chips out of a carboy for aging.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
Hethen57
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

When I oak a beer, some sink and most some float for some time before sinking. I would think they would still be imparting flavor...just make sure you don't over do it. 7 days should be plenty with chips because there is so much surface area, maybe up to 10 or 14, but be careful. You can't ruin it with too little, but you could ruin with too much.

As far as getting oak chips out, I just rack (whether they are sunk or floating) and the chips dump out with the trub and gunk.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

If the chips get buried in the trub,they're not really imparting any flavor. I made my dark ale recipe,& soaked 4oz of medium toast French oak chips in 5 jiggers of Beam's Black in a tight lidded plastic container in the fridge the whole time the ale fermented. The chips soaked up 2/3 of the bourbon. When the ale hit FG,I poured the chips,liquid & all,through a hop sack into secondary,tied off the sack,& dropped it in the secondary. Then racked the ale onto them. 8 days later,the taste was a little strong. The bottled ale to 9 weeks & 6 days to mellow. And 2 weeks fridge time for decent head & carbonation.
If I did it again,I'd cut the oak down to 2-3 ounces. If bourbon flavor isn't wanted,just soak said amount of chips in 23-3 jiggers of plain vodka. Done the same way I just described. That would give a better oak flavor,not to mention putting said flavor on the back. That'd let the rest of the ales' flavors stand out more.

Quick Reply