Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using Munich Danstar and LME/DME, 18 hours, no signs of ferment... worry?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Oaky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using Munich Danstar and LME/DME, 72~! hours, no signs of ferment... worry?

We pitched last night at around 11PM. It's about 7:00PM. No signs yet of fermentation. We're using 4Lb of Alexander LME, and 3 pds of DME. Used Danstar's Munich which I heard was very quick and fast.
Got it the same day at a brew store - so I'm a bit surprised. The yeast didn't foam that much when we first hydrated it.
It's cool in the basement - but not that cool - and I understand that this yeast works even at low temps (17c).. so what is a reasonable length of time before I start adding more yeast... or should I even do that?

took a gravity reading... same as SG - very close anyway.. 1.06 to 1.055 - may be temp and bubbles that justify the difference.

I suspect my temperature is low - 59 degrees in the liquid and my yeast didnt seem very active (what should I have expected from MUNICH danstar?)

so I'm getting worried now'

Last edited by Oaky; 03-14-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: time update

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

First off, have you ready this thread? http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/

What temp did you pitch your yeast at?

P.S. 18 hours is nothing for the signs of fermentation without a starter.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
Oaky
Recipes 

ah.. yes. I searched the forum but didnt find this most useful post. My main source of concern stems from the reports of that yeast being a fast start and even at low temperatures.
I will do a few of the basics based on the thread - check the lid, check the temperature, raise it off the ground and ceremonially drink a few beers in the vicinity of the fermenting bucket.

The yeast was pitched at 70 degrees, pretty much textbook. The SG was 1.06 and i did get the yeast started in water... I saw the yeasts seem to go down to the bottom of the glass but there wasn't the usual foamyness I'm used to (from cysers/ciders etc).

It's been almost a decade since i've done beer - so im back to noob status.

Nice G3 BTW.

ant1

Old 07-20-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
Oaky
Recipes 

For any of those interested... that turned out to be about the best brew I've made in the last 5 batches.. how screwy is that.. i'm actually starting to wonder if the delayed brew and the second yeast addition made a difference

Quick Reply