Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using honey in recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
mlgtrumpet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Using honey in recipes

Hello, I am making a Ginger Ale from this Extract Recipe (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/ginger-ale-3rd-place-2009-hbt-bjcp-comp-141080/index3.html#post2987412)

and I have a question regarding the honey. The recipe calls for 3lbs of honey added at 60 mins, however the original poster has mentioned that he adds all the honey at flameout (0 mins).

Now, I know that the sugars in the honey are needed for the fermentation, since there is only .5 lb of Light Dry Extract only 1lb of liquid pale extract -- so I am guessing the sugar in the honey is absolutely necessary. Does it really matter when I add the honey? I heard that if you add it to the boil, it will lose the flavor. I have also heard of some people adding honey directly to the fermenter after fermentation is complete? What are the pros/cons and what should I do with this recipe I am going to brew on Saturday? What does it mean to add honey at flameout? (probably obvious, but right before I chill the wort?)

Also, the recipe states it's for a partial boil -- since I am doing a full boil, does that change any of the ingredients in the recipe?

Thanks for all of your advice.

Brew-Matt-ster

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 600

A flameout addition does mean you add the honey at the end of the boil before you chill. The later in the boil the better but I don't think it matters too much because you have correctly identified the main problem with using honey: 90% of it is going to ferment out, drying out your beer and thinning it out with only a tiny flavor addition.

Many people add it after initial fermentation or even to a secondary and rack the beer on to it. The main idea here is the later you add honey during the process the more likely you are to get the flavor from it. On the other hand, this is a ginger ale recipe and the honey might be seen more like a sugar addition and not really used as a flavor addition. If this is the case, and it looks like it is, I tend to add my sugar additions around 30 minutes. Thats just me but the recipe is a winner...literally, so it looks like going by the guidelines will give you a great beer. Hope this helps

Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

As mentioned above, honey is usually included in typical beer recipes to raise the alcohol and dry the beer out a bit. For the taste of honey, use honey malt (in small quantities at first, until you get a handle on the strength). Using honey at the end may preserve some flavor profile, but I seldom feel that you get much out of it.

Quick Reply