Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using honey or brown sugar as a priming sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
jarrodaden
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Using honey or brown sugar as a priming sugar

My Honey Brown Ale calls for honey OR brown sugar as a priming sugar.

The salesperson at my local homebrew shop said that he never uses anything but "normal" priming sugar.

Two interesting side notes:

1) The local homebrew shop does not stock or sell honey or brown sugar.
2) The recipe I am using is one of the "canned" recipes that said shop has on their website.

Please chime in on this.

Do you have any good or bad experiences using honey or brown sugar for priming purposes?

Old 06-19-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
jarrodaden
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

No help here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
cholmes
Recipes 

You can use either. But it will rest in a different flavor, not a lot but a tiny bit. Regular priming sugar ferments out completely and doesn't lean rally any flavor but honey and Brown sugar are I believe more complex so they will leave a little bit of flavor. That's just my thoughts good Lu k

Old 06-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Just be aware that you need to use a different amount if you go with honey. Not sure about brown sugar, since I've never primed with it.

General rule of thumb is to use 1.25x the normal sugar amount in honey to obtain the same carbonation level. Also, honey can take longer to carbonate than the other sugars. I wouldn't be discouraged though, since I've used it before with good results.

Use this site to help figure out how much honey to use. Keep in mind, you want to WEIGH honey just as you would regular priming sugar. Don't use volume measurements for this.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
jarrodaden Likes This 
Old 06-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #5
brewvac
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

According to John Palmer, you can use either for priming. Honey is 95% fermentable & Brown sugar is 97% fermentable. Meaning you may be able to taste the percentage that is unfermentable. For a 5 gallon batch he recommends 4.7 oz of honey or 4 oz of brown sugar.

I haven't used either, but the above information is in the book How to Brew, and it's been dead on accurate for everything that I have tried.

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1015 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

I've used honey with great success. The head and carbonation I got from using honey was very nice. Small, tight bubbles, and great lacing down the glass. Just make sure you use a priming calculator to determine how much you should use...

Old 06-19-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
jarrodaden
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholmes View Post
You can use either. But it will rest in a different flavor, not a lot but a tiny bit. Regular priming sugar ferments out completely and doesn't lean rally any flavor but honey and Brown sugar are I believe more complex so they will leave a little bit of flavor. That's just my thoughts good Lu k
Any thoughts on which to use for a honey brown ale? I am thinking honey based upon my tasting after a gravity reading.

Also, curious to know if people agree that priming sugar is "the only way" when it comes to priming for bottling.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #8
jarrodaden
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Just be aware that you need to use a different amount if you go with honey. Not sure about brown sugar, since I've never primed with it.

General rule of thumb is to use 1.25x the normal sugar amount in honey to obtain the same carbonation level. Also, honey can take longer to carbonate than the other sugars. I wouldn't be discouraged though, since I've used it before with good results.

Use this site to help figure out how much honey to use. Keep in mind, you want to WEIGH honey just as you would regular priming sugar. Don't use volume measurements for this.
This is really great but I am a noob and I have no idea what to put for volume of CO2 desired.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #9
brewvac
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Jarrodaden, there are plenty of sources to say that Priming sugar (corn sugar I'm guessing) is NOT the only way. I've been using regular white cane sugar for the last few batches and it's worked great. You can use honey, brown sugar, molasses, Maple syrup, DME, candy sugar, and probably more things that aren't coming to mind just yet. Molasses has the least amount of fermentable sugars of the ones listed, so it will impart the most noticeable flavor.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:38 AM   #10
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1015 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2695

You can try using this one. It gives you examples of different volumes depending on style
http://www.fattymattybrewing.com/hom...r&action=entry

Quick Reply