Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using Carboy or Bucket as a Keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
x2n2005
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Using Carboy or Bucket as a Keg

Hi there!

This is my first post aside from my introduction. I was wondering if I can use a Carboy or a Bucket instead of using or a keg or bottles for storing my beers without affecting the taste after the secondary fermentation? Maybe I can just cover the carboy with something like a sheet of fabric or just store it in a dark room to prevent light from getting in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

To age, yes. To carbonate, NO.

You should have it in a dark place anyway.

BTW, unless you added another source of sugars to the brew after you racked it, you didn't get any more fermentation once you racked it. Look up not using a second vessel (or secondary) for brewing. A great many of us don't bother with it and are getting great tasting, super-clear brews as a result. Plus, less risks due to less transfers.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 241

I don't know how long you intend to store the beer before drinking it but I have just left some of mine in the primary fermenter for 9 weeks. It came out really good. I've heard from other brewers who have left it even longer with no ill effects.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
x2n2005
Recipes 

Default Thanks for the speedy response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
To age, yes. To carbonate, NO.

You should have it in a dark place anyway.

BTW, unless you added another source of sugars to the brew after you racked it, you didn't get any more fermentation once you racked it. Look up not using a second vessel (or secondary) for brewing. A great many of us don't bother with it and are getting great tasting, super-clear brews as a result. Plus, less risks due to less transfers.
I shall looks it up and thank you! The thing is that I want to use something else aside from bottles, kegs, or soda canisters with it still being carbonated, clear, and great tasting. It's difficult for me to find kegs for sale in the Philippines so I am trying to look for an alternative.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
x2n2005
Recipes 

Default Thank you for the speedy response! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
I don't know how long you intend to store the beer before drinking it but I have just left some of mine in the primary fermenter for 9 weeks. It came out really good. I've heard from other brewers who have left it even longer with no ill effects.
I am going to try that Thank you for the suggestion. I think Golddiggie suggested the same thing. The thing is I just need to find another alternative aside using bottles, kegs, and soda canisters.

Maybe I can slip in some priming sugar into the carboy and make it air tight like one big giant bottle. Do think that can work?

Old 11-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2n2005 View Post
I am going to try that Thank you for the suggestion. I think Golddiggie suggested the same thing. The thing is I just need to find another alternative aside using bottles, kegs, and soda canisters.

Maybe I can slip in some priming sugar into the carboy and make it air tight like one big giant bottle. Do think that can work?
IMO, HUGE bad idea. Carboys are not designed to hold pressure like that. Very likely it will blow the stopper, at best. At worst it will blow up and you'll waste a full batch.

I ferment in adapted sanke kegs, which CAN hold pressure.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
funkadelicturkey
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 2330

depends on what you are using for a carboy. Most are not designed to hold pressure and may explode giving you one massive bottle bomb and a mess to clean up. I found this home made keg interesting. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/homemade-keg-5326/ Also, if you prime it, it can hold pressure, and carbonate if you open it you'll have to find a way to add pressure back to it, such as with kegging you need to continually add CO2.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #8
x2n2005
Recipes 

Default Happy Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkadelicturkey View Post
depends on what you are using for a carboy. Most are not designed to hold pressure and may explode giving you one massive bottle bomb and a mess to clean up. I found this home made keg interesting. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/homemade-keg-5326/ Also, if you prime it, it can hold pressure, and carbonate if you open it you'll have to find a way to add pressure back to it, such as with kegging you need to continually add CO2.
This is just amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this with me! Thank you! Thank you! This is what I need!

All I need are Plastic Carboys, metal tire valves and some stuff I can find anywhere in my country!

Old 11-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2n2005 View Post
This is just amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this with me! Thank you! Thank you! This is what I need!

All I need are Plastic Carboys, metal tire valves and some stuff I can find anywhere in my country!
Did you see all the warnings in that thread? You'll need to hunt down a threaded top/opening plastic water bottle/carboy to begin with. Plus, do all the modifications to it. THEN be super careful to NOT put too much pressure into it (didn't see where a PSI value was listed for how much was too much).

IMO, the super high risks of going that route do NOT outweigh the benefits from trying it. Do what you want, but don't be surprised if you come home one day to find a ruptured carboy and your beer is all over the floor. Or have it explode (literally) in your face one day when you're looking at it.

There's a reason why we only use stainless vessels to carbonate/serve out beers.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 11-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #10
x2n2005
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Did you see all the warnings in that thread? You'll need to hunt down a threaded top/opening plastic water bottle/carboy to begin with. Plus, do all the modifications to it. THEN be super careful to NOT put too much pressure into it (didn't see where a PSI value was listed for how much was too much).

IMO, the super high risks of going that route do NOT outweigh the benefits from trying it. Do what you want, but don't be surprised if you come home one day to find a ruptured carboy and your beer is all over the floor. Or have it explode (literally) in your face one day when you're looking at it.

There's a reason why we only use stainless vessels to carbonate/serve out beers.
Thank you for warning me and I know about the risks but, do you think i can get seriously injured? if so then i might consider not doing it. i wanna try making it for learning purposes as well. one day i will be able to get those kegs.

Thank you again for many helps

Quick Reply