Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using a can of coopers for a 10L brew.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
schia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Using a can of coopers for a 10L brew.

Hello,

Need help here. I have a mr.beer kit sitting at home and I refuse to buy their malt extract to make a 10 liter/2.64 US gallons batch. Instead I was hoping to get a can of coopers malt extract and use the whole can instead. I know this will make a really strong and high gravity beer but how about if I just add the whole can and skip the 1kg of sugar or dextrose will that help in balancing it out? The only reason I’m toying with this idea is because I’ve seen on youtube where some brewers use two cans of coopers as oppose to 1 and not add in sugar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
SoupNazi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

What style of beer are you brewing?

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? Did i tell you to put the balm on?"

Old 03-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
schia
Recipes 

Coopers English Bitters...

Old 03-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Those cans CLAIM to be for 5 gallons, but if you use one can for a 5 gallon batch you aren't going to have much of a beer. Also that extra sugar gives you alcohol and nothing else, I would skip it regardless. One can for a half sized batch is perfect IMO

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 03-16-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
schia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar View Post
Those cans CLAIM to be for 5 gallons, but if you use one can for a 5 gallon batch you aren't going to have much of a beer. Also that extra sugar gives you alcohol and nothing else, I would skip it regardless. One can for a half sized batch is perfect IMO
I have to agree and i think I've seen somewhere on their official website stating that if you plan to brew an english bitter, the water volumne should be 18L/4.72G and additional LME or DME together with it.

So now back to the question, is it recommended to use 1 can for half the amout of water?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by schia View Post

So now back to the question, is it recommended to use 1 can for half the amout of water?
Yes... when I was doing those kinds of beers, I would always use 2 cans for 5 gallon batches, so one can for around 2.5 would be fine

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 03-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
schia
Recipes 

Thanks guys. at least now i know what my mr.beer will be good for

Quick Reply