New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > using bottling bucket as primary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 06:41 AM   #1
doodlevon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default using bottling bucket as primary

is it possible to use my bottling bucket as my primary? Is there a downside?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've done it twice. Others have done it as well. The only downside is the spigot. You need to make sure it is clean all over, in and out.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
hossua
Recipes 

Ive used mine as a fermentor... It's ok, not too hard to keep it clean. I just take the spigot out and soak it in some oxyclean, then hit it with sanitizer before use.

The big draw back is not having a bottling bucket when your pipeline is full. I've managed to get myself into a predicament where I have two carboys full (one ready to bottle, one that needs a little longer) and I have a beer fermenting in my bottling bucket. This is a big problem, because my carboy space is all used up and I don't have any way of bottling without transfering my beer to an intermediate container...

Strongly suggest having a designated bottling bucket, unless you are just going to do one brew at a time.

Edit: Also the spigot tends to leak a little bit. It's not really a problem, but when fermentation is going on you might have a few drops of sticky wort to clean up.

Last edited by hossua; 07-10-2009 at 07:04 AM.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yea I had to sanitize my boil pot, siphon into that, clean the bottling bucket, put beer back in bucket and then bottle. I only use it to ferment if I need to, I don't like to do it because I don't have another bottling bucket.

Quick Reply