Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using Bottling Bucket to Ferment and Fermenting Bucket to Bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
oneawesomeguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using Bottling Bucket to Ferment and Fermenting Bucket to Bottle?

I just watched the Alton Brown home brewing episode (see: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/alto...ou-tube-46677/). He does so many things wrong, but one thing I thought was interesting was his choice (maybe not intentionally) to use the bottling bucket to ferment the beer. After fermentation, he transfered the beer using the spigot and tubing into the fermenting bucket and used the tubing along with a bottle filler to fill the bottles. All the sediment stayed on the bottom of the bottling bucket (Alton's fermenting bucket).

This process seemed easier to me than using an autosiphon and constantly moving it down into the wort, then using the spigot and tubing to fill each bottle (my current method). Is there any reason that I have never heard of somebody using Alton's method?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
AnthonyD
Recipes 

Funny, I just watched this for the first time tonight also.

I've thought about this in past, and not sure why it wouldn't work. I might just drill my fermenting bucket and add a spigot maybe 1.5 - 2" up from the bottom. This way I'll have spigots on both buckets. Just need to make sure to sanitize the spigot on the fermenter before racking, add a short lenght of tubing, and drain into priming sugar in the bottling bucket - same as would be done by siphoning.

Any reason this would be a bad idea?

Bottled: AHS Red Stripe Lager clone; AHS American Amber Ale; Apfelwein/Cyser, Coffee Stout
In Primary: Nut Brown Ale, Apfelwein
On Deck: Anchor Steam clone

Old 02-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
Atvar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Only negative I can think of is you run the risk of a poor seal and the spigot leaking when you're not around to notice it.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"let's face it, this is not a serving. THAT'S a serving."

"...you'll hear.. psssh psssh psssh. NO! not a driveby, exploding bottles."

if you tighten the spigot too much, it can leak (check for burrs too on bucket from holesaw). and you need to put a gallon of say starsan in and shake before using. but it works awesome... no racking, and trub is conveniently left behind. default "bottling" model is 1" on center from bottom.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
AnthonyD
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordantly View Post
default "bottling" model is 1" on center from bottom.
Yeah, that's where it is on my bottling bucket. I'm thinking just slight higher for the fermenter so it doesn't suck up the yeast. I can always tilt it a little to get more of the liquid if necessary.

Bottled: AHS Red Stripe Lager clone; AHS American Amber Ale; Apfelwein/Cyser, Coffee Stout
In Primary: Nut Brown Ale, Apfelwein
On Deck: Anchor Steam clone

Old 02-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
torbanac
Recipes 

After starting with a MR Beer, having a spigot on the fermenter seemed like the way to go.
I dip a cup of sanitizer over the spigot and mop the inside with a q-tip dipped in sanitizer before moving to a secondary or bottling bucket.
People have noted concerns about leaks but, if you are careful installing it ,it should be fine.
My fermenter sits in an unused bathtub so it doesn't cause concern for me.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbanac View Post
My fermenter sits in an unused bathtub so it doesn't cause concern for me.

doesnt cause concern???? what about the sweet nectar of the gods that youd lose down the drain?

Old 02-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
HomelessWook
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hey, i really love good eats and Alton Brown because i enjoy thow he explains the science behind what is happening

thanks for bringing htis to my attention - i also think he really knows a lot (at least about cooking) some of his little tricks and tips he does just proves how long he has been around the ktichen.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 911 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 26

As long as you take the spigot out and soak it in a bowl of sanitizer prior to each use, you're OK. Cover the outside with a clean baggie and rubberband while you're fermenting to keep it clean.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

I don't know how good the seal is on regular bottling buckets. I think one of the concerns is that it may not be airtight and you'll get some air slipping into your beer as well as possibly infections. I'm not sure if the risks outweigh whatever benefits you are trying to get from this.

I think (and I may be wrong) you can buy better bottles have spigots on the bottles, and they may airtight, making them safe for fermenting.

Tags
alton brown, bottling bucket, bucket, fermenting bucket

Quick Reply