The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using 5 gallon carboy for primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 03:52 AM   #1
Wyrmwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default Using 5 gallon carboy for primary

I'm a relatively new brewer with only a handful of extract beer batches under my belt, so this post is really for new brewers who've only used buckets as primaries.

I've been using 7.9 gallon bucket as my primary. With the glass carboy, you can see the krausen form, first a greenish meringue, giving way to foam and the yeast is far more active than I ever imagined, swirling around like a school of fish, kicking up trub!

Anyways, like I said - probably only "cool" if you are a new guy like me and haven't seen this sort of thing before, but here you go.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply