Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using a 3 gallon Better Bottle as my secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
sillyblue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using a 3 gallon Better Bottle as my secondary?

So I have a 3 gallon glass carboy, and thinking of picking up a 3 gallon Better Bottle to use as my secondary. (I brew 2.5 gallon batches)

I have heard that it might not be good to use the better bottle as a secondary since it is plastic. Is this true? I probably would not keep the beer in the BB longer than 4 weeks.

Or should I use the BB as my primary and the glass as my secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I don't see why it would matter either way. But why use a secondary at all?

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
sillyblue
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
But why use a secondary at all?

Rick
A couple of reasons:
-My wife wants a raspberry wheat for the summer
-Free up my primary
-Dry hopping (I know I can dry hop in my primary)
-I want to try and make a lager. One of the books I was reading say to drop the temp for the secondary to 35 - 45.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

A better bottle is FINE to use as a secondary, it's FINE to use as a primary (even for an extended one)....It's FINE TO USE, PERIOD. All that other stuff you heard is just opinions, mostly spread from the glass carboy industry when the CHEAPER better bottles hit the market.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Kolenka
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have a couple glass carboys and a better bottle carboy. I actually do the opposite: primary in the better bottle, and move to the glass for secondary. While it should be fine, I prefer to use the glass anytime I need to secondary, which I tend to do for longer period.

Also, if you want to play with sours like I do, the better bottle is probably not the best choice for sours. Don't want it to pick up the "infection" from the sours and pass it along, which is easier if you don't take good care of it (can be rougher with glass).

But Revvy is right, no reason you can't use them. I like mine.

Quick Reply