Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Used and IPA yeast in my pilsner....
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
Kam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: , Hawaii
Posts: 9
Default Used an IPA yeast in my pilsner....

I've brewed a few batches (6) and to this point have thoroughly enjoyed the out come of my brews. The batch I currently have in my primary (I usually rack to a secondary) is made with a Coopers Hopped Pilsner extract. After brewing it up I realized I used a Coopers IPA labeled yeast. Did I mess up using this yeast? What should I expect?

__________________

Last edited by Kam; 04-11-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: mispelled word in title
Kam is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
smagee's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 917
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default

I'm not entirely sure of your concern here, but if I'm guessing correctly, you're worried that the IPA yeast will have an adverse affect on a brew using pilsner extract? If so, I wouldn't be too concerned. I don't know anything about Cooper's IPA yeast itself, but I'd expect it to be something fairly neutral like US-05 or WLP001 anyway. What beer were you brewing with it?

__________________
smagee is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
Kam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: , Hawaii
Posts: 9
Default

Being fairly new to this I wasn't sure if there was some major difference in the yeast taste once finished. For this brew I used the Coopers hopped Pilsner, a golden light dry malt and added an ounce of US sterling hops to my wort the last few minutes of my boil. It's kicked off nicely. Just was curious as to the effects of using an "IPA yeast". Thats what the yeast pack was labeled which I noticed after the fact. I had it as an extra from an earlier brew...

__________________
Kam is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
paraordnance
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 861
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

it will be nothing like Pilsner thats for sure, more like Pale Ale if you used Ale yeast. From what I know Coopers uses same ale yeast (yellow packets) for all of their kits. It will be beer, just not true Pilsner. My first ever batch was a Brewhouse Pilsner kit with Coopers yeast, was drinkable but can't say it was great. For most beer styles yeast responsible for about 80-90% of flavour profile. I can take exactly same grain bill and use different liquid yeast to make Pale Ale, Munich Helles, Pilsner and Kolsch. All 4 will taste very different due to specific yeast. So its not about a kit you using, its about the yeast for the most part. You will learn that first hand soon

__________________
paraordnance is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
tomheff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 128
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

The Coopers Pilsener does use a true lager yeast strain. If fermented at lager temperatures it would produce a smoother beer. Using the IPA yeast will probably produce a beer that is more fruity in profile. Since you are in Hawaii you may not have adequate temperature control for fermenting a lager so it may be just as well.

__________________
tomheff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
tomheff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 128
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
it will be nothing like Pilsner thats for sure, more like Pale Ale if you used Ale yeast. From what I know Coopers uses same ale yeast (yellow packets) for all of their kits. It will be beer, just not true Pilsner. My first ever batch was a Brewhouse Pilsner kit with Coopers yeast, was drinkable but can't say it was great. For most beer styles yeast responsible for about 80-90% of flavour profile. I can take exactly same grain bill and use different liquid yeast to make Pale Ale, Munich Helles, Pilsner and Kolsch. All 4 will taste very different due to specific yeast. So its not about a kit you using, its about the yeast for the most part. You will learn that first hand soon
Coopers uses about 5 different varities of yeast in their kits. Of course the Original Series uses only the Original Series yeast. That is the same yeast that is used in the Brewhouse kits.
__________________
tomheff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Kam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: , Hawaii
Posts: 9
Default

Thanks for the response folks, looks like it's all part of the learning...if not a "true" tasting pils it should be interesting to taste the results. This has pushed me into learning more about the variety of yeasts. Just gives me another variable to work with, which is a good thing. When I sample it I'll pass my findings along. At any rate it won't go to waste!

__________________
Kam is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 2,528
Liked 125 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 284

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam View Post
Thanks for the response folks, looks like it's all part of the learning...if not a "true" tasting pils it should be interesting to taste the results. This has pushed me into learning more about the variety of yeasts. Just gives me another variable to work with, which is a good thing. When I sample it I'll pass my findings along. At any rate it won't go to waste!
Aloha Kam,
I'm out in Wai`anae. What are you doing about temp control? Right now I have lots of 1/2 gal jugs of ice that I swap twice a day w/fermenting bucket in a big tup and covered w/a towel.
__________________

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

C-Rider is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 05:51 AM   #9
Kam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: , Hawaii
Posts: 9
Default

Alohas C-Rider,
I'm over here on the Big Island at about 2500' elevation so temperature is pretty good for brewing. Typically 70-75 day and 60-65 night. I usually keep my primary start in my inside pantry (stays about 68 around the clock). Once the biggest of the fermenting (bubbling) stops I bring out to the garage, cover the pail with a towel to keep the light off it for the rest of the time (temp goes from 65-78) if it goes hotter than that I crack some windows. I try to keep it under 78. Seems to be working good so far. I think I saw a pic of your setup here somewhere and seems you're doing the most reasonable thing. After 3 or 4 days you may be able to just get away with water and wet towels, let evaporation do it's cooling thing and maybe just as important make sure its always shaded. The airflow in the open area you have will help a lot. For me (and I'm fairly new to this) I think its most important to keep it coolest those first few days when the fermentation is really kicking off and it's generating it's own heat. After that I think you can be a little more lax on the temp. My own theory, I think the yeast is comfortable if we are. Just an idea, maybe tape a thermometer to your bucket or carboy and see how it's doing with wet towels and of course if you've got plenty ice why not chuck a block in there in just in the the afternoon when it's hottest..Suck em' up...Your thoughts?

__________________

Last edited by Kam; 04-13-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Kam is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 2,528
Liked 125 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 284

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam View Post
Alohas C-Rider,
I'm over here on the Big Island at about 2500' elevation so temperature is pretty good for brewing. Typically 70-75 day and 60-65 night. I usually keep my primary start in my inside pantry (stays about 68 around the clock). Once the biggest of the fermenting (bubbling) stops I bring out to the garage, cover the pail with a towel to keep the light off it for the rest of the time (temp goes from 65-78) if it goes hotter than that I crack some windows. I try to keep it under 78. Seems to be working good so far. I think I saw a pic of your setup here somewhere and seems you're doing the most reasonable thing. After 3 or 4 days you may be able to just get away with water and wet towels, let evaporation do it's cooling thing and maybe just as important make sure its always shaded. The airflow in the open area you have will help a lot. For me (and I'm fairly new to this) I think its most important to keep it coolest those first few days when the fermentation is really kicking off and it's generating it's own heat. After that I think you can be a little more lax on the temp. My own theory, I think the yeast is comfortable if we are. Just an idea, maybe tape a thermometer to your bucket or carboy and see how it's doing with wet towels and of course if you've got plenty ice why not chuck a block in there in just in the the afternoon when it's hottest..Suck em' up...Your thoughts?
On a clear day the temp on the lanai is pushing 83 right now. Under the deck it's cooler w/a big Kukui Nut tree and the house to shade it. I bought an indoor outdoor thermometer w/3 remotes w/wire probes. I've got them in the bucket as well as in a colman cooler trying to condition at 70. I've got a Johnson controler on order and will use it to keep a small apt refridg at 70 to condition. I've also got some apple cider going in one of the muck buckets, a 1 gal bottle. I"m a happy guy here in Wai`anae. Yea, your much higher. Elevation here is only about 380'
Aloha and good luck brewing.
__________________

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

C-Rider is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
83 IBU Pilsner BrookdaleBrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 08-09-2010 04:16 PM
s23 lager yeast in a pilsner? SeanyP321 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 02-04-2009 05:04 PM
Lager yeast (Pilsner) fermenting at 68F... Kevin K Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 01-10-2008 11:49 PM
Dropping IIPA on Pilsner Yeast Cake? efreem01 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 05-30-2007 02:33 PM