New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Used Bottle caps...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 10:13 PM   #1
ARV9673
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Used Bottle caps...

Ok, I'm trying to not be too ghetto, but here was my thought: I live in a 3rd floor apartment and space is at a premium. In order to be frugal with both space and time, I was thinking of cleaning and sanitizing my next batch of bottles and then capping them. Then, bottling day, uncap, fill and recap. Depending on the price of caps, this could be a great time, and space, saver. I have no room for a big bucket of sanitizer with bottles in it (an eventual aim, once we get a house and a basement) and the pain in the ass that was the intial bottle cleaning session (that became two bottle cleaning sessions after I got discouraged and a crick in my back bending over the sink) hopefully will never happen again.
Ok, long question short, can I reuse caps or not? And can one reuse commercial bottle caps?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
Markusface
Recipes 

Nope not a good idea, the caps will be damaged from when they were removed, they wouldn't seal properly at all. You can buy bottle caps in bulk quite cheaply, it won't break the bank using new bottle caps, plus you'll save your beer and/or sanitizer

Secondary: IPA
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale Almost gone :( t'were delicious!
Mysteriously Disappeared: Some Random Dark Ale - Cooper's Bavarian Lager - Mexican Cerveza - Black Sheep Export Bitter - Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 09-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Don't do it...you chance ruining a bunch of beer over pocket change.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:56 PM   #4
ARV9673
Recipes 

Ok, thanks. Was sort of a pipe dream anyway. Guess it is possible to be too ghetto.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:02 AM   #5
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You could always sanitize some saran wrap, wrap it over the top, and put a rubberband on the neck of the sanitized bottles.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:59 AM   #6
brewie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARV9673
Ok, I'm trying to not be too ghetto, but here was my thought: I live in a 3rd floor apartment and space is at a premium. In order to be frugal with both space and time, I was thinking of cleaning and sanitizing my next batch of bottles and then capping them. Then, bottling day, uncap, fill and recap. Depending on the price of caps, this could be a great time, and space, saver. I have no room for a big bucket of sanitizer with bottles in it (an eventual aim, once we get a house and a basement) and the pain in the ass that was the intial bottle cleaning session (that became two bottle cleaning sessions after I got discouraged and a crick in my back bending over the sink) hopefully will never happen again.
Ok, long question short, can I reuse caps or not? And can one reuse commercial bottle caps?
Not a great idea to use caps over again - no matter how careful you are they won't seal properly. Hey - ever thought about flip cap bottles a'la Grolsch? Then all you'd have to do is use new seals now and then. Only problem with them is they're expensive and its hard to find actual Grolsch bottles since nobody really likes the beer. Better yet - get a corny keg and don't worry about bottles!

Up Next: Pale Ale
In Primary:
In Secondary:
Bottled: Double IPA OG: 1.065 FG: 1.010
On Tap: Waiting for CO2

Quick Reply