Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > use of pellet hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
techrunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default use of pellet hops

brewed my first kit, midwest's honey porter, and it uses pellet hops, i think it was at about 30 minutes and again at 10 minutes or something, i cant remember. anyway, i realize now that the hops went into the primary too, i dont think the directions ever specified that they needed to come out. so normally speaking, should the hops have been removed before racking to the fermentor? after a couple days i cracked to bucket and it smelled really hoppy, then after about a week and a half i cracked it again, and it smelled great. i know it'll be beer, just wondering if its normal to leave the hops, and if i should rack to a secondary to get them out. i was gonna leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks and then bottle, but if i should secondary, then i'll go get a carboy. thanks,

nick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

I usually do the same thing. I don't strain the wort, unless I have tons of hops that will take up too much room in the fermenter (like in an IIPA or something). The hops sludge will settle to the bottom with the trub and you'll be fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply