New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > US or Imperial Gallons in Daniels' Designing Great Beers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
lgmol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default US or Imperial Gallons in Daniels' Designing Great Beers?

The title pretty much says it all. I can't seem to find any mention of which is used inside the book itself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 13

US gallons. Who uses imperial gallons?

The book is published by Brewers Publications, a division of the Brewers Association. It's a U.S. organization and I believe Ray Daniels, the author, is an American.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
What a question: Emperors of course!

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
ProfessorWoland
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man

The book is published by Brewers Publications, a division of the Brewers Association. It's a U.S. organization and I believe Ray Daniels, the author, is an American.
I think you'll find the civilised world uses Imperial gallons.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorWoland View Post
I think you'll find the civilised world uses Imperial gallons.
But Americans *never* do. And it never occurs to us that anyone wouldn't realize that. (Which I think was the intent of the post which I think was supposed to be a joke.)

If the book is American than it is definitely U.S. gallons.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
fixitoscar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

I'm another american who has never heard of imperial gallons. I always thought it was our us gallon and then the metric system.
from wikipedia.

The imperial gallon
The imperial (UK) gallon, defined as 4.54609 litres, is used in some Commonwealth countries and was originally based on the volume of 10 pounds of water at 62 °F (17 °C). (A US liquid gallon of water weighs about 8.34 pounds at the same temperature.) The imperial fluid ounce is defined as 1⁄160 of an imperial gallon.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
woozy
Recipes 

Look at page 32 and 33

He's referring to grains having 36.3, 36.0, and 35.6 gravity units per lb/gallon.

Those are the numbers for us gallons. For an imperial gallon the numbers would only 80% as high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitoscar View Post
I'm another american who has never heard of imperial gallons.
Seriously? You hadn't?

Canada and Australia and England all used imperial gallons until 40 years ago or so. When I was in the BVI 13 years ago you bought your gas in liters, your food in u.s. ounces and your water in imperial gallons.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
Look at page 32 and 33

He's referring to grains having 36.3, 36.0, and 35.6 gravity units per lb/gallon.

Those are the numbers for us gallons. For an imperial gallon the numbers would only 80% as high.
In addition, Chapter 7 is titled Beer Color, not Beer Colour.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
ProfessorWoland
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy

But Americans *never* do. And it never occurs to us that anyone wouldn't realize that. (Which I think was the intent of the post which I think was supposed to be a joke.)

If the book is American than it is definitely U.S. gallons.
It confuses the hell out of me. I'm wondering why kits I brew have less ABV than the videos I see on YouTube and have only recently realised they are seeing 5 gallon Coopers kits (having no idea what 23 litres is) and are brewing it to the lesser 5 US gallons rather than the correct (and civilised) 5 Imperial gallons.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
woozy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorWoland View Post
It confuses the hell out of me. I'm wondering why kits I brew have less ABV than the videos I see on YouTube and have only recently realised they are seeing 5 gallon Coopers kits (having no idea what 23 litres is) and are brewing it to the lesser 5 US gallons rather than the correct (and civilised) 5 Imperial gallons.
Well, I'm all for bashing the ugly arrogant american. But you do realize that every country using the imperial gallon switched to metric over 40 years ago, don't you? Thus is you ever see any modern publication that uses gallons you pretty much have to assume it is a publication using american statute measures as american statute measures are the only system that still use gallons at all.

To presume "well, obviously as the american statute system of measures is barbaric, I will assume this book is using our method forty years out of date, despite that the publication is clearly american" just shows that you brits, when you put mind to it, can out-ugly and out-arrogant us with one lobe tied behind your brains.

Quick Reply