The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > US-05 vs US-04 vs Nottingham

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
Where's your Penguins Jersey?
In the rag bag. It makes a nice toilet bowl cleaner.

I was just thinking about nottingham again. One of the reasons I loved it a few years ago was because it was about 1/3-1/2 the price of S04 and s05. But now it costs more (I saw it at $4 a pack!) and I think I'll stick with my favorite strains for most American ales. I always have Denny's Favorite 50 for many beers, and I use two others: Wyeast 1335 (English, plus some of my IPAs and oatmeal stout), and White Labs 001 (American beers with lots of hops) for liquid. I use S04/S05 for my dry yeast needs.

I occasionally use other strains, like for lagers or a special beer, but I can get by for about 90% of my beers with the above strains since I don't make many Belgians or other beers that need a specialty strain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
brewit2it
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I pretty much use Notty and S05 as my two house yeasts. I can believe they are from the same strain and similar, and both make nice clean pale ales, but I do notice some differences.

Notty ferments out faster for me, especially in the mid 60's and below and I don't find S05 gives a "cleaner" tasting final product. The odd thing is Notty give a smaller Krausen than the huge one I get with S05 but still finishes faster and both attenuate well. To me Notty is very neutral, even more so than S05. The ales I make with S05 do seem to preserve more hop aroma (which might just be a function of taking a little longer than the notty to finish, and I feel like the S05 ales have a mild ester flavor where as the Notty ales have nearly none, hence the observation that you can't get a much "cleaner" ale yeast than Notty, if by cleaner we mean almost no detectable yeast character.

So basically if I am going for a more pronounced hoppy pale ale or IPA I use S05, for my regular house pale ale I prefer Notty. By the way Notty is also great for an american wheat such as a Blue Moon clone specifically because you will end with almost no estery flavor profile so the 2 row, wheat, and orange/corriander flavors can shine through.

See my cheap new Keezer Build Here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...keezer-224848/

Primary: 2 Row IPA
Second Primary: Kolsch-like ale

Keg 1: Blur Moon
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty

Bottled: None

BeerDoctor5 Likes This 
Old 09-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #23
rmb
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewit2it View Post
I pretty much use Notty and S05 as my two house yeasts. I can believe they are from the same strain and similar, and both make nice clean pale ales, but I do notice some differences.

Notty ferments out faster for me, especially in the mid 60's and below and I don't find S05 gives a "cleaner" tasting final product. The odd thing is Notty give a smaller Krausen than the huge one I get with S05 but still finishes faster and both attenuate well. To me Notty is very neutral, even more so than S05. The ales I make with S05 do seem to preserve more hop aroma (which might just be a function of taking a little longer than the notty to finish, and I feel like the S05 ales have a mild ester flavor where as the Notty ales have nearly none, hence the observation that you can't get a much "cleaner" ale yeast than Notty, if by cleaner we mean almost no detectable yeast character.

So basically if I am going for a more pronounced hoppy pale ale or IPA I use S05, for my regular house pale ale I prefer Notty. By the way Notty is also great for an american wheat such as a Blue Moon clone specifically because you will end with almost no estery flavor profile so the 2 row, wheat, and orange/corriander flavors can shine through.
Great write up. You helped me make a decision to use Nottingham for 1 beer and US-04 for a second. I plan to do an Octoberfest Ale taste test.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
rmb
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Or maybe Wyeast 1338 European Ale now...

Decisions...

Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #25
Bloom_198d
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thought I would weigh in with my experiences, because this is something I looked into before exploring cheap yeasts for neutral flavoured beers (as far as yeast is concerned).

First thing is that it will depend on what style of beer you are brewing. I have made many dark beer like a porter or stout with both US05 and US04, and have noticed little to any difference. Im sure there is one.... but both are going to give you a great flavour. In general for PA's and IPA's both 05 and 04 will give great results. 05 attenuates further making a drier and crisper beer (makes a more hop forward beer). 04 will have a bit higher gravity and make a maltier or at least a touch richer beer. Its worth noting that 04 ferments very fast and makes a tight sludge yeast cake and a bright beer, 05 likes to hang out in solution a bit more and is helped by cold crashing.

I do not find Notty British at all. Its more of a higher attenuating us-05, maybe with a touch of tartness. The best use of Notty is in blondes, cream ales and pseudo lagers where it ferments super clean and crisp.

In general I use 04 for British styles (bitters, IPA, porters, stouts etc), 05 for american styles (american wheat, APA, IPA/DIPA, or even a drier irish stout), and Notty for lawnmower beers...although I wouldnt hesitate to use any of these yeast for any of the mentioned styles if it was all I had on hand.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #26
dlaramie08
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't have much experience with notty, however have used 04 and 05 extensively. I ferment in my basement at ambient temps and I have found that 04 is a little bit more forgiving at warmer temperatures (ambient upper 60s to low 70s). I can only tell a difference in lower hopped pales though. IPAs usually get whichever one I have most of at the time. The hop flavor drowns out the yeast profile. A low hopped pale gets 04 because the 05 gives me way too much acetaldehyde (I also rehydrate now and pitch the appropriate amount). Of course winter changes things, 05 gives me the perfect clean ale flavor you would expect.

PS. I'm on the lookout in the coming months for a Craig's list fridge for fermentation control so I'm not a slave to acetaldehyde.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:16 AM   #27
JohnSand
Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 536

The best way to tell is to split a batch. I've done this with 05 and Notty. You definitely can tell the difference. I'm not an experienced enough to define the differences, but the 05 attenuated lower, and tasted drier and hoppier.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #28
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Notty at low temps is super clean and a powerhouse. I like 05 as well, also at low temps, but find that it can really take a while to clean up.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #29
bhanson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nottingham - Great and clean at lower temps, not so great at higher ones. At 68-70F, it will throw objectionable flavors. Fast and drops clear quickly.

US04 - Flexible English style yeast, clean at lower temps, produces typical English esters at increasingly higher ones.

US05 - Very clean, widest temperature range of the three, produces little yeast character itself, lets hops and malt show through. Some peach at lower temperatures. Chico strain. Some people report thinner body than liquid eqivalent (WY1056, WLP001)

Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #30
mrphillips
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've used 04 twice and 05 four or five times. Like other posters have said, 04 leaves an estery (to me, almost fruity) taste...of course, I don't believe I fermented the 04 at the right temperature. The 04 needs to be kept at lower temps than the 05.

All of that said, I've never had a bad experience with 05...I even use it in some of my English Beers

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." - Charles Bukowski

Quick Reply