Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > US-05 Resulting in a really light color during fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
jerryodom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default US-05 Resulting in a really light color during fermentation?

First time using US-05. Fermentation started up really quick but one thing I noticed is after 24 hours the color of the ale changed to a dramatically lighter shade. It's literally a very pale ale now!

Now I've been brewing nothing but pilsners, schwarzbier and Marzen for about 2 years now. Just got bored and decided to start doing ales again. Is this expected with this yeast? I've been searching around and not finding anything else on this question. I'm about 99% sure there's no infection or anything like that.

I brew beer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Read more about it on my blog: Bayou Beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Are you sure you're not just seeing the yeast reflecting light? US05 tends to work fast and settle out nicely, but I haven't noticed any change in color from the SRM predicted by BeerTools when I'm using it.

Sometimes if there's yeast in suspension, the light will hit the yeast particles and it will appear a lot lighter than it actually is.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-12-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have been using US-05 a lot, and I have never noticed it to change the color of a beer. It is probably the way the light is hitting it.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

All my beers change color, nothing to worry about. Or do like some of us and ferment in stainless so you can't watch it.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think it's just the yeast being whitish while suspended in the beer, after finishing their work, on the way to their final resting place at the bottom of the fermenter. As it begins to re-darken from the top, you'll know it's getting ready for packaging. Go, warm-fermenting yeast!

Old 10-12-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
jerryodom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The yeast suspension theory is probably right but I thought I'd ask. A few hours in you could see the top quarter of the beer was a much lighter shade and 24 hours later it was solid that much lighter color. I've brewed probably 50+ batches in the last few years and never seen it turn that much lighter. Just going to forget about it until time to rack to secondary.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I brew beer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Read more about it on my blog: Bayou Beer.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:49 AM   #7
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

50+? You have more experience than I. I am only on #33. Woo Hoo! #33!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:22 AM   #8
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryodom View Post
The yeast suspension theory is probably right but I thought I'd ask. A few hours in you could see the top quarter of the beer was a much lighter shade and 24 hours later it was solid that much lighter color. I've brewed probably 50+ batches in the last few years and never seen it turn that much lighter. Just going to forget about it until time to rack to secondary.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Did you stir the yeast in? If you just poured it in, it could be that it just started at the top and slowly started falling through the beer.

Either way, I bet if you watch it for another few weeks, it will slowly change colors again.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
jerryodom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I poured it in and I think you're correct about yeast falling through. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
jerryodom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanmcnulty View Post
50+? You have more experience than I. I am only on #33. Woo Hoo! #33!
Wow you know exactly how many! I lost count in reality. I think I just forgot a ton of the ones I ruined. I know I just tossed a at least a half dozen. Got a little too crazy too fast.

Anyhow primary fermentation done and about 24 hours after the airlock slowed to a stop the color turned back to more like I expected. None of the yeast I'd used prior had been so bright. Learn something new every day and alls well that ends well.

Quick Reply