Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is UPS killing mah beer?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Is UPS killing mah beer?!

I discovered Rogue sells their own recipe kits, and they had Dead Guy available. I've been getting my stuff from Rebel brewer who has been awesome in every possible way so far and they also had pacman in stock. WIN!! (note: Rebel usually has the rogue kits, but they were out at the time and I'm an impulsive idiot when it come to beer, probably related to the pacman being in stock?).

The problem is such, Rogue was great in packaging my kit and shipping it, I had a tracking number within 24 hours. My fault was I chose UPS standard, which for me is usually 3-5 days.... With 90+ degree weather, a delay out west, I'm over a week now in transit in what I can assume is an unrefrigerated truck.

Are my grains and hops going to be salvageable?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 393 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 599

The grains and hops will be fine.....if the yeast is coming with it, you might have trouble. I've tried to make a habit of ordering most of my supplies on line, but hitting the LHBS for my liquid yeast.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
likwidbliss
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Your yeast should be fine too. I have ordered kits from Texas on a Thursday and they arrive on a Wednesday the following. I am sure the items sat in a warehouse or on a truck for the weekend. I still made beer and it was delicious. Yeast are pretty badass survivors.

spence

Old 07-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
homebeerbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwidbliss View Post
Yeast are pretty badass survivors.
True dat.

You may have a longer lag time than if you had fresh yeast, but you should be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

You should for sure make a starter with that yeast before you pitch it into your beer. That way you can grow up enough healthy cells prior to pitching in the event that some of them did not survive the journey.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
jonbomb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I ordered white labs american ale blend and it took like 5 days or so to get to me. I ordered with an ice pack just so it stayed cool for a day or two.

I ordered two vials. I was gonna double pitch them into my porter. I only pitched one vial bad mistake. Its been almost two days since I pitched and no fermentation. So now im hoping the yeast arn't dead and I'm gonna have to make a starter with the other vial.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall View Post
You should for sure make a starter with that yeast before you pitch it into your beer. That way you can grow up enough healthy cells prior to pitching in the event that some of them did not survive the journey.
Exactly!!!!! If making a starter is ever important (which it is all the time for liquid) making one in this instance will guarantee piece of mind, and grow any viable cells.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
BeerJorge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbomb View Post
I ordered white labs american ale blend and it took like 5 days or so to get to me. I ordered with an ice pack just so it stayed cool for a day or two.

I ordered two vials. I was gonna double pitch them into my porter. I only pitched one vial bad mistake. Its been almost two days since I pitched and no fermentation. So now im hoping the yeast arn't dead and I'm gonna have to make a starter with the other vial.
1) This is why you make a starter.

2) It can take up to 72 hrs for fermentation to start

3) No bubbles is NO indication that fermentation has started... use a hydrometer to find out.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
jonbomb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerJorge View Post
1) This is why you make a starter.

2) It can take up to 72 hrs for fermentation to start

3) No bubbles is NO indication that fermentation has started... use a hydrometer to find out.
Yea my question is when it takes that long for fermentation to start....does that effect the overall quality of your beer??

Old 07-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbomb View Post
Yea my question is when it takes that long for fermentation to start....does that effect the overall quality of your beer??
No. It's just the normal lag time that often happens while yeast either comes out of dormancy or reproduces enough cells to do the job. If you've kept your fermenter closed, then there's no issues whatsoever.

Just because you don't think anything is happening in that 72 hours, or don't see anything happening during that time, doesn't mean that's the case. There's a veritable orgy of activity going on, yeast is getting it on reproducing, building up a krausen and is already doing some fermentation, it just isn't that dynamic.

But there is plenty of activity going on, which is protecting your wort and everything is fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply