New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Upping ABV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
brazedowl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Upping ABV

So my friends and I are going to get some kits and try our first batches next month. We were wondering if it would be possible to kick up the ABV on the kits. Most of them are rated at 5.0-5.5%. We aren't talking anything crazy, maybe up to 6.5 or 7.0.

I make wine and if I wanted to up the abv I would just add sugar to increase the OG. Can you do that with beer without destroying the flavor or knocking the recipe out of whack? Is there an upper limit to how much you can increase the ABV before the flavor begins to deteriorate?

In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Euripidez
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It depends on the style of beer. I personally wouldn't be a fan of upping the ABV of certain styles of beer just for the hell of it. Instead, consider making some double or imperial style beers that are suppose to be at 7-8%.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
bja
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazedowl View Post
So my friends and I are going to get some kits and try our first batches next month. We were wondering if it would be possible to kick up the ABV on the kits. Most of them are rated at 5.0-5.5%. We aren't talking anything crazy, maybe up to 6.5 or 7.0.

I make wine and if I wanted to up the abv I would just add sugar to increase the OG. Can you do that with beer without destroying the flavor or knocking the recipe out of whack? Is there an upper limit to how much you can increase the ABV before the flavor begins to deteriorate?
You should probably just try making beer for the first time instead of experimenting. It's quite different than making wine.

And if your friends just want to get drunk, go buy some Everclear.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
frazier
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 5

As a rule of thumb, one pound of DME will up the ABV by slightly less than 1%. YMMV.

Also, it will affect the recipe. Higher gravity beers need more attention to the yeast and fermentation process; the alcohol itself will become more of a flavor component; the balance with the hops will be affected. Best to choose a recipe designed as such, than to toss extra sugars into the pot. FWIW.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazedowl

Google two things - dogfish 120 clone, tactical nuclear penguin.

I realize your shooting for 6% and not 40, but hear give you an idea of how complicated bigger beers can get.

For what you're going for, the best advice has already been given - go with a high alcohol style ale kit, like a Belgian strong/triple.

Before you do that though, you may want to do a few basic kits. From what I understand beer is a heck of a lot easier to infect than wine. You probably want to get your process down before blowing $50-60 on a high ABV kit.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Any additions to a kit will change what was the intended recipe. Usually not for the better.

The best way to get a higher ABV is to select a kit/recipe that is designed to be that way.

Quick Reply