Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Upgrading, is it worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 01:10 AM   #11
JoeMama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srm277 View Post
would i be able to do a partial mash with this then? i have never done it and wont really understand it till i try it. also the nice thing about this one is it has a spigot on there. The past couple time i have bottled or switch with a syphone i have wanted to drink heavly cuz the darn thing kept stoping for no reason. I might get a auto syphone, but if the pot i get has a spigot ill make it work no matter what i have to do with bottleing, lol.
I was the exact same way bud. But trust me - when it 'clicks' you will realize how incredibly simple it is! Like it was stated before, even if you never do an AG or even PM batch the mere fact that you can do a full boil will make life easier, and your beer tastier.

BTW, the only difference between a partial mash and your regular steeping of the grains before adding the extract, is the fact that you have to sparge (rinse) your grains after steeping them. The process isnt much different with AG batches. You just have to do a little math/temp control in conjunction.
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 01:12 AM   #12
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srm277 View Post
so right now im making my beer in the kitchen in a 3 gallon pot and its a pain in the neck, so i have some questions about upgrading into a turkey fryer

1. Is it worth it cost wise?

2. Is this a good one to buy, North American Outdoors at Lowe's: 35-Quart Aluminum SAF-T-Fryer

3. By doing this will I be able to advance to all grains?

4. Is going all grains better then extract both quality and price wise?

I am eventually gonna start buying this more in bulk, but i want to first settle on my brewing station and tools. If I get the thing ill eventually get a wort cooler. Good thing im unemployed spending my money on this stuff

Thanks for all you helps, also where i get the fryer from has half the tax, plus i have card thats costs $20 thats worth $25 for lowes. Now i just have to find the right place to buy ingrediants
You can find that same turkey fryer on ebay for around $50 by the way!

Old 01-28-2009, 01:23 AM   #13
BeernuT100
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post

4. I think so. I found maris otter malt for $.84/pound, so that's a great price, and I can buy in bulk. I think my beer is pretty decent, since I went Ag.
Not to hijack this thread, but where does one find MO for .84/lb?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:10 AM   #14
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeernuT100 View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but where does one find MO for .84/lb?
My LHBS will cut deals with you if you buy your stuff in bulk. Me and a guy I met on here are going to buy enough 2 row to last me a year (hopefully) and we are getting it at about half the cost. Ask your LHBS if they will cut you a deal on the price per lb if YOU pay for the shipping to the store.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:05 AM   #15
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
2. I don't know that brand, but it looks like mine. Check the IBUs, etc, to make sure it's similar to the rest of them.
Don't you mean "Check the BTUs, . . ."

It did make me chuckle.

That's all. Sorry to interrupt,

Old 01-28-2009, 03:16 AM   #16
MaynardX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzermann View Post
Burner:

Amazon.com: Bayou Classic SP10 High-Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker, Propane: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I might have to get one of these myself...however I do not like the complaints about them painting the burner and it burns off at first use.

I just bought one of these and used it for my last batch. It did have some paint burn off, but the smell was gone after about a half hour. No damage done, however. It is a rocking burner for the price.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #17
Srm277
Recipes 

looking at it, is it worth for me looking into that high pressure outdoor gas cooker and buying the pot seperatly, that way i can get a good pot for it and upgrade it as needed. The smell thing doesnt matter for paint burning, i could care less what it looks like and the smell will go away.

so with this what pot should i get, that 60 qaurt looked nice, but im afraid mayb to nice for my wallet

also thanks everybody for all the help

Old 01-28-2009, 03:34 AM   #18
wbutler
Recipes 

I have this pot and I'll never go back:
Heavy Duty Brew Kettle - With Ball Valve (32 Quart/8 Gallon) | MoreBeer

A bit pricey, but worth it. The sturdy bottom can stand up to the heat of the burner.

In my experience, the best thing you can do for the quality of your beer is to control your fermentation temperature effectively. That's easy to do with a digital thermostat and the cheap craigslist freezer of your choice. Doing full-volume boils is #2. I'll never go back either way. I added a sight glass to this pot, and stpats.com sells a digital thermometer on a 1/2" NPT fitting that you can screw in.

PLUS, the propane burner is just so much fun! We were brewing in 28 degree weather the other night and warm as could be next to our ridiculous altar o'fire. Just remember that, once you move to a full-volume boil, aeration becomes more important. Normally, you have the 2-3 gal of make-up water that you add to the fermenter, which has some dissolved oxygen for your yeast. If you boil all your water, then you've driven all of the oxygen out of your wort, so you have to add some back. I use a stir stick and a cordless drill; not the most advanced thing ever, but it gets the job done. I just got a filter and an aquarium pump in the mail, but I've yet to take it for a spin.

GO FOR IT! Propane is the best.

Commercial on Tap: None
Drinking: 90-Minute Redhead
Secondary: Sweetwater 420 Clone
Primary: Spiced Winter Ale

Old 01-28-2009, 05:04 AM   #19
BigNastyBrew
Recipes 

I just bought this same fryer/burner and trying my first AG this weekend (assuming my LHBS has Pale Chocolate Malt).

Old 01-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #20
Srm277
Recipes 

Mash Tun - 8 Gallon Heavy Duty Brew Kettle | MoreBeer

is this a good buy, or should i go for the one without the false bottom and thermom for 100 less, or is there a better place to get it?

Quick Reply