Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Upgrading, is it worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Srm277
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Upgrading, is it worth it?

so right now im making my beer in the kitchen in a 3 gallon pot and its a pain in the neck, so i have some questions about upgrading into a turkey fryer

1. Is it worth it cost wise?

2. Is this a good one to buy, North American Outdoors at Lowe's: 35-Quart Aluminum SAF-T-Fryer

3. By doing this will I be able to advance to all grains?

4. Is going all grains better then extract both quality and price wise?

I am eventually gonna start buying this more in bulk, but i want to first settle on my brewing station and tools. If I get the thing ill eventually get a wort cooler. Good thing im unemployed spending my money on this stuff

Thanks for all you helps, also where i get the fryer from has half the tax, plus i have card thats costs $20 thats worth $25 for lowes. Now i just have to find the right place to buy ingrediants

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srm277 View Post
so right now im making my beer in the kitchen in a 3 gallon pot and its a pain in the neck, so i have some questions about upgrading into a turkey fryer

1. Is it worth it cost wise?

2. Is this a good one to buy, North American Outdoors at Lowe's: 35-Quart Aluminum SAF-T-Fryer

3. By doing this will I be able to advance to all grains?

4. Is going all grains better then extract both quality and price wise?

I am eventually gonna start buying this more in bulk, but i want to first settle on my brewing station and tools. If I get the thing ill eventually get a wort cooler. Good thing im unemployed spending my money on this stuff

Thanks for all you helps, also where i get the fryer from has half the tax, plus i have card thats costs $20 thats worth $25 for lowes. Now i just have to find the right place to buy ingrediants

1. Yep. so worth it. I do full boils in the turkey fryer pot, and love it.

2. I don't know that brand, but it looks like mine. Check the IBUs, etc, to make sure it's similar to the rest of them.

3. Yep. Or at least full boils with extract until you can get your AG equipment. Mine is 30 quarts, so it's always in imminent danger of a boil over, so a 40 quart pot would be better, I think!

4. I think so. I found maris otter malt for $.84/pound, so that's a great price, and I can buy in bulk. I think my beer is pretty decent, since I went Ag.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Jared311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do it!!!!!!!!

Sláinte,
Jared311

Old 01-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Eventually you will get to the point where BOTH are satisfying. Ive been speaking to a buddy of mine who likes to do both for different reasons. Extract brews make brew, but it cuts out a few steps. With AG you have much more control of what you brew and can experiment a bit more.

Bottom line is you cant go wrong by going bigger with your brew setup. With bigger and better equipment you can still do smaller batches - not the other way around. Having a turkey fryer is the shizzle as it makes life so much easier. KEEP YOUR SMALLER POT THOUGH!!! It comes in very handy for getting your strike and sparge water(s) ready. I almost gave mine away to a new brewer when I upgraded to my turkey fryer, now Im glad I didnt!
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Even if you never switch to AG, having a pot that allows a full boil and using a propane burner outside is totally worth it. You'll need a 10 gal pot (40 qt) to do most all grain batches, but it isn't too big to be wasted space for extract.

Your brew process and fermentation control will have a bigger impact on the quality of your brew than AG vs. extract. As far as expense, it depends on how equipment heavy you get when you switch. If you focus on basic and functional, the lower price of ingredients compensates pretty quickly for the expense of the additional equipment. If you go out and buy a $4,000 brew sculpture, a SS conical fermenter, etc, you're going to have to brew A LOT of AG batches before the overall expense makes the switch justified.

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #6
Christian
Recipes 

Larger pot....yes

AG or Extract..... that is really up to you on what you want to do. I am set up for both and actually started with AG but can never find the time for it so i usually do extract and partials. I have made really good beers with both and with some recipes i actually prefer the extract/partial brews. But it is really up to you on what you want to do there. Allot of people on here i notice like to push AG but you can make some damn fine award winning extract/partials.

I believe Homer Simpson said it best "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"

CMAC'S Brewery

Old 01-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #7
Panzermann
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

How about these two? Together only $175

60 Quart Stainless Steel Pot:

Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 1060, 60-Qt. Stainless Fryer/Steamer with Vented Lid: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Burner:

Amazon.com: Bayou Classic SP10 High-Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker, Propane: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I might have to get one of these myself...however I do not like the complaints about them painting the burner and it burns off at first use.

folgen Sie die Reinheitsgebot oder die Deutschen reinheit gesetz?

***No longer have time to keep up with all my batches***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I would love to find a loooong oldschool baster though, mine is a little short

Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #8
Srm277
Recipes 

would i be able to do a partial mash with this then? i have never done it and wont really understand it till i try it. also the nice thing about this one is it has a spigot on there. The past couple time i have bottled or switch with a syphone i have wanted to drink heavly cuz the darn thing kept stoping for no reason. I might get a auto syphone, but if the pot i get has a spigot ill make it work no matter what i have to do with bottleing, lol.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:43 AM   #9
Srm277
Recipes 

those look nice from amazon, but the hard part is with no job not that much money to be spending, specially since im trying to save money to finish paying off my motorcycle and move out of my house, so i also have to think about cost effectiveness.

My dad just asked me if anything would happen if we cook a turkey in it, like the grease messing anything up. Since i live at home none of my toys really are mine, so i have to share.....boo
btw he doesnt drink anymore so it doesnt matter to him how my beer tastes, but he also doesnt read this so i am curious bout the true answer then i will tell him possibly if cooked wrong, lol.

Last edited by Srm277; 01-28-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #10
ak47clown
Recipes 

I just picked up a bayou classic turkey fryer from sports authority last weekend for 60 bucks. It's got a 30qt aluminum pot and a 55,000 btu burner. In any matter for cost effectiveness-if you do some shopping around, you should defintely be able to get a fryer for 50-60 if not less. I assume since you were already looking at fryer's you have no issue with aluminum over SS? I certainly don't but i'm not here to try and convert others lol...

My plan with the fryer was to be able to do full boil extracts. I'm still pretty new to the game so my whole thing was I'll defintely be doing quite a number of extracts before i think about switching so for the 60 bucks, it's well worth it even if i upgrade down the road a larger pot can be had for $50 or so.

Also take a look at this thread from someone looking at that same burner:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...p-fryer-94282/

Looks like there are a few downfalls to the SAF-T features including not being able to use it with another pot...

:::_____________:::

Primary: Bass Ackwards Brew
Secondary:
Bottled: Magic Hat #9 clone, Amarillo IPA, Lemon Coriander Weiss
Up next: ?

Last edited by ak47clown; 01-28-2009 at 01:13 AM.

Quick Reply