Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Upgraded my brew equipment today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
derekbooth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Upgraded my brew equipment today

So I upgraded my brewing equipment today. Before, I was brewing on an electric stove which couldn't get my wort boiling as rapidly as I'd like. I made 2 batches this way. Each time, I boiled all ingredients in approx. 1 gallon of water, then poured into my primary and topped off with cold water to 5 gallons and waited for the temp to drop before pitching my yeast.

Today, I bought a Camp Chef Cooker rated at 60,000 BTU. I've got a very large stainless steel pot that I'll be cooking 5 gallons of a Raspberry Wheat Ale in today. I also bought a wort chiller. My question is this:

Since I now have the heat source to bring 5 gallons of wort to a boil rapidly and a chiller that can bring it back down to 70 degrees much quicker than before, is it beneficial or detremental to boil all 5 gallons of my ingredients + water and then after cooling, simply pour everything into the primary.

My gut says, it would be beneficial, as all 5 gallons will aerate much better... but I'm no expert.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

You will want to boiul probably 6 gallons in order to get down to 5 due to boil off.
It would be beneficial to do a full boil, better hop utilization, less caramelizing the wort, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 01-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I currently boil 6.82gal to end up with 5gal of finished product, but it's around 20*F here so that affects my boil off some.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply